Scag purchase

meangene21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

I am about to purchase a Scag zero turn. I don't think I can afford the tiger cat so I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Freedom Z PRO. However, I have not been able to see any major differences between the PRO and the regular Freedom Z. Is it worth the money to go for the PRO? The only option I believe I want is the Hurricane mulching system put on. Which motor should I look for?
I am coming from a John Deere L130 and that damn thing was built to have NOTHING repaired or fixed. I really wanted to go with scag because of the quality of parts and for sentimental reasons... Any knowledge you feel like sharing about the Scag Freedom models would be great !

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is my spin on your choices:
Freedom Z 48" or 52" decks, Freedom Z Pro 52" or 61" decks.
Freedom Z, Hydro Gear ZT 2800 drives have been around for a long time, Freedom Z Pro 52" ZT 3100, Freedom Z Pro 61" ZT 3400 drive units, newer and stronger, been around for a while.
Freedom Z Kawasaki FR engine is lower end of Kawasaki vertical line. Kohler 7000 is a new engine line from Kohler, not much feedback on them yet.
Freedom Z Pro, Briggs Commercial Turf or Kawasaki FS engines, both good, I have a Briggs Commercial Turf on my Tiger Cub repower, nice engine, great air filtering system.
Freedom Z 20" rear tires, Freedom Z Pro 52" 22" rear tires, Pro 61" 23" rear tires, bigger tires ride better and tear up less turf while turning.
Freedom Z PTO clutch is rated at 74 ft/lbs of torque. Freedom Z Pro rating is not shown but is probably higher rated.
I'm not crazy about clutches that are rated below 100 ft/lbs, but just my spin on clutches.
Blade replacement on all Freedom Z models is under the deck as the blade bolts thread into the underside of the spindles. You will need to be able to raise up the front of the machine to do cleaning and blade changes.
If you opt for a Scag Hurricane Mulching system, then blade changes become more challenging as you will not be able to use a Blade Buddy. A Blade Buddy is a simple tool that is placed over two blades to stop them from turning while removing or installing the blade bolts.
I suggest that you consider a Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki FX engine and suspension seat, more money, but a great machine!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

meangene21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the good feedback and thank you for taking your time to write it down.

He had me look at a Freedom Z 61inch with a Briggs and Straton 30HP..... My question is, what year mower is this? I dont see where the FREEDOM Z is available in 61inch cut... Am I wrong?

Champ

Threads
I bought the Tiger Cat with Kawi and suspension seat last year. Just used it yesterday for the first time this year and still happy I got it. You won't be disappointed.

MontecarloSS

Threads
I also purchased a Tiger Cat w/ Kawasaki and suspension seat last year. Enjoy it every time I use it. I recommend the suspension seat on what ever you get!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for the good feedback and thank you for taking your time to write it down.

He had me look at a Freedom Z 61inch with a Briggs and Straton 30HP..... My question is, what year mower is this? I dont see where the FREEDOM Z is available in 61inch cut... Am I wrong?

You were shown a Freedom Z SFZ61-30BS Serial number range of H5200001 thru H5299999. This production run was started in fall of 2012 as 2013 and 2014 model years. The 30 HP Briggs engine has since been re-labeled as a 27 HP model.
Scag does most models in a 2 year production run and not yearly as auto manufacturers do.
This model has been changed to the current Freedom Z Pro.
Here is the link for the manual of this model. Request Rejected

Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

whelch1

Threads
How big is your property? Is this going to be used commercially? I also wanted to get the tiger cat but my lawn is just over a half acre and it is complete overkill. Most will say that a zero turn of any kind is overkill for my lawn but I work 72 hours a week and I have a high maintenance lawn that needs mowed twice a week. Not to mention I like the quality of the cut and zero turns are just fun to use. For me the regular freedom z was more than enough. If you have a large lawn or are planning to use this commercially I would make the jump to the tiger cat or the 61" freedom z pro. The 61" uses the 3400zt's which gives you a 2 year commercial warranty.

tigercat

Threads
When I bought my Tiger Cat machine, I wanted the collection system #1 because of my fall cleanup. Cutting the grass otherwise for me I didn't care. But now I do care because the grass looks nicer and it's done in 1/2 the time.

But I tell you something, I would recommend the Tiger Cat to you too. Just the resale value alone. I mean you run it ten years and sell it.....a low hour machine would sell in 1 HR to someone who cuts grass for a living. You would get your price too.