2006 Craftsman String Trimmer Runs Great Without Attachment

Blaine B.

Threads
  • / 2006 Craftsman String Trimmer Runs Great Without Attachment
Last year I purchased a used 2006-2007 Craftsman 2-stroke straight shaft string trimmer with blower attachment. It ran great for awhile, but I developed issues with the way it runs. I replaced the fuel lines, primer bulb, and "ignition switch" last fall, and also cleaned the carb about 3 times last year.

This year, it ran great for awhile, but once again started having running issues. I disassembled the carb and cleaned it in an ultra-sonic cleaner, then cleaned it more by hand.

Today I decided to pull off the muffler and try it out. It ran great! It throttled up fully, idled nicely, and was all around great (but noisy without the muffler!)

As soon as I put on the string trimmer or blower attachment, it won't throttle up worth a darn. No matter what I do to adjust the high or low side jets, it acts the same. But if I pull off the attachment, it runs fantastic!

What is the likely cause of this? Is it perhaps a compression related issue, being that this is a 8-9 year old 2-stroke? It really runs great with no attachment and no muffler! That's the odd thing about it....put an attachment on and it bogs horribly when attempting to throttle up!

IMG_3461.jpgIMG_3463.jpgIMG_3464.jpgIMG_3460.jpg

AnthemBassMan

Threads
It needs some back pressure to run properly. You found the issue was a plugged muffler. You can either clean the screen in the muffler, along with the exhaust ports on the head, or just pick up a new muffler. One of basic maintenance check lists for 2 stroke trimmers is to occasionally check to make sure the muffler screen and exhaust ports are clean.

L8R,
Matt

Blaine B.

Threads
Yes, but it operates just fine without the muffler and NO attachment. If I put an attachment back on (blower or trimmer head,) it runs like crap and won't throttle up.

It also runs like crap WITH the muffler on, WITH an attachment. Also will not throttle up.

I have not attempted to put the muffler back on and run it without an attachment. I'll do that right now and see how it responds.

I do know for sure that the exhaust port on the head is clean. I can't get inside of this muffler, though. The screen appears to be inside and cannot be disassembled without cutting it open.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without the head on there is no load on the engine so it runs fine
With the head on there is a load so it runs bad.
Blue smoke exhausts are a black art.
Too much back pressure & the fresh charge can not get in so it chokes & dies.
Not enough back pressure and the fresh charge goes in one side then strait out the other so it is like operating a 4 stroke at idle .

There are a lot of bugs that like to build nests in blue smoke exhausts & plug them up.
There are a lot of beetles that like to crawl up the muffler & cark it.

Blaine B.

Threads
I have re-installed the muffler. Leaving the bolts slightly loose MAY make a bit of a difference, but not significantly. When I blow through it with my mouth, there seems to be virtually no restriction in the muffler itself.

I notice that if I put the head on WITHOUT the trimmer line, it runs fine. But if I put the trimmer line in, it bogs down.

Right now it has been running in my backyard for 10 minutes with no trimmer line, just idling away.

But there are also times when I can't restart it for the longest time. Nothing seems to be consistent with this old trimmer.

Blaine B.

Threads
Anyway, it idled away in the yard until the tank ran out of gas. No string was inserted into the trimmer head.

Who knows, it may take 20 minutes to start it next time. Perhaps the diaphragm(s) in the carburetor are old. They don't look bad to me, but perhaps they are still too stiff. I really don't know, I didn't put a rebuild kit in the carburetor. I have only cleaned it multiple times.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds really like it it is not getting sufficient fuel.
However give up your obsession with the "runs without " bit
As in the previous post, without a string there is nothing resisting the engine turning apart from its own compression and the resistence of the internals of the shaft.
Once ther is a string hanging out of the head, it has to push it's way through the air so it puts a load on the engine. A longer string applies a bigger load.

The fact that it will run no load suggest that the electrics are OK so that leaves fuel & compression.
Now I am fresh out of fairys to pop over there and put a spell on your trimmer so you will have to do some work yourself.
Do you have a compression tester ?
Do tou have a pressure pump ?
Do you have a vacuum pump ?

Start by going over the the Walbro site Parts & Service down at the bottom riht are some links to service manuals and tech tips, click on them download the manual and read the tech tips all cube carbs work the same way regardless of brand and there are basically only 2 types the butterfly & the rotary.
Make a coffee or two and read he entire manual at least twice then go back & have a look at your carb.

My initial thoughts are the high speed jet is blocked but go through according to the manual.
It has big clear colour diagrams that can never be bettered by text alone.

Blaine B.

Threads
I do not have a compression tester, but I do have a vacuum pump, both electric and manual.

I will read up more about this Walbro carb. But perhaps it is best not to invest any more money into a 9 year old 2 stroke. I don't know.

Mikel1

Threads
Just curious but what did you use in you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?
Have you tried a rebuild kit? The more times you take it apart and tighten it back up the more wear on the gaskets leading to a weaker seal.

Blaine B.

Threads
I just had some ultrasonic cleaner that is normally used with electric facial shavers. But my ultrasonic cleaner crapped out within about 15 minutes of use.

However, I have cleaned this carb so many times with brake cleaner, carb cleaner, dish soap, water, and a tooth brush. It is spotless. However I have NOT done a kit on it with replacement gaskets and diaphragms. I am not sure exactly which model carb this is, otherwise I would look for a rebuild kit online.