Need Info. on Briggs 5.5 HP Quantum XTE Engine specs

wilburn cox

Threads
Helping a neighbor with push mower that has a briggs 5.5 HP Quantum engine on it. Need to adjust the valves. Engine is model # 12J802-0651-01. Code # 9612-1358. I have information on own Briggs engines but have no specs on a 5.5 Quantum and don't want to mess up his engine. One web site advised that adjustment on the Quantum engines is different from others. Don't know if this is true. Also trying to find a web site that shows a carburetor over haul on this.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Red Cox

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Helping a neighbor with push mower that has a briggs 5.5 HP Quantum engine on it. Need to adjust the valves. Engine is model # 12J802-0651-01. Code # 9612-1358. I have information on own Briggs engines but have no specs on a 5.5 Quantum and don't want to mess up his engine. One web site advised that adjustment on the Quantum engines is different from others. Don't know if this is true. Also trying to find a web site that shows a carburetor over haul on this.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Red Cox

Servicing The Valves

Try this.
Also why do you want to check valves?
Very unusual job on a quantum.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree, don't know the last time I did a valve job on that model engine. What is the problem?

wilburn cox

Threads
Servicing The Valves

Try this.
Also why do you want to check valves?
Very unusual job on a quantum.
Thanks; not sure it's a valve problem. Will start with starter fluid in carb but will not stay running. I have not checked it out but will be going over today and see. Thanks for the help.
Red Cox

wilburn cox

Threads
I agree, don't know the last time I did a valve job on that model engine. What is the problem?
Thanks Rivets, neighbor says it will start by spraying starter fluid into card throat. I will be looking at it today and check it out. Won't stay running after initial start up. Thanks for the help. Red Cox

AnthemBassMan

Threads
Sounds like a carb cleaning/rebuild is in order. Maybe check the tank for crud too. But if it runs with starting fluid, then it's just a fuel delivery problem. Also try running the engine without the gas cap on just to rule out the vents being plugged.

L8R, Matt

wilburn cox

Threads
Sounds like a carb cleaning/rebuild is in order. Maybe check the tank for crud too. But if it runs with starting fluid, then it's just a fuel delivery problem. Also try running the engine without the gas cap on just to rule out the vents being plugged.
Thanks AnthemBassMan; I picked up a carb kit this morning along with new plug. I tried starting the engine with fuel cap off but no results. I did see a very tiny hole in top center of fuel cap and tried running the smallest wire (from my torch cleaning kit) could not push the wire through the tiny hole. I think it is a vent hole but not sure. Also found advice on you tube. The carb. is a primer carb. I found on you tube that if the gasket between the air filter assembly is damaged the primer will not work. New gasket is included in the new carb. kit.
Red Cox

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try and use both the old carb to air filter assembly gasket and a new one.
Sometimes they take 3 gaskets to make it seal and allow fuel to be pumped up.
Also check the inlet manifold that the carb bolts to for damage.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
You're welcome. Just like pugaltitude said, use the old gasket for the primer along with the new one. But only if it's not already torn. And since you have a tip cleaning kit for your smoke wrench, those are great for running through the jets and other orifices in the carb. Just take your time and give it a thorough cleaning.

L8R,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using LMF