husqvarna RZ5426 Oil Change

wanderer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Getting ready to change the oil for the first time on a husqvarna RZ5426. The manual is of no help. Three different sources recommend three different oils. What type of oil should I use? Should engine be run prior to changing? It seems to me that the impurities settled to the bottom over winter and could be drained better without running them through the engine. How often should the oil filter be changed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 4000ish people on this list so expect 4000 different oil choices, it is just one of those things.
The brand is not really important however the viscosity is and that will depend upon your temperature range.
And the temperature range is the operating temperature, not the storeage temperature so if it snows where you live but you have a separate blower & the mower just sits down the back of the shed you don't need to put 5 W 30 in your mower.
If you mow in temperatures of 90 deg or hotter ( you have my sympathies ) regularly then you will need an oil that goes up to 40 e.g. 10W 40.
Otherwise plain strait 30 W will normally do.

However you have your plan upside down.
unless you are going to split the engine to change the oil you need to have all the sediment up into the oil so you can get rid of it.
So the best thing to do is to mow your lawn then change the oil when you have finished mowing.

I try to get my customers into the patten of changing the oil as soon as they stop mowing so when you get down to 1 mow a month, change it then so tther will be nice clean oil sitting in there over the off season and they will not be anything in there to settle out.

As for filter & for that matter oil change intervals, oil every season and a filter every second season will usually do a residential mower fine, or put another way oil on 50 fiter on 100 hours.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Much easier to answer your question if you tell us what engine you have in your unit.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/huso/huso2006_usen/huso2006_usen_o0603006_.pdf see pages 52-56, check oil level, add if necessary & warm up engine before changing oil & filter, use OEM engine filter if B&S use B&S filter etc. I would use a good name brand quality synthetic oil for your engine. Check oil level before & after mowing each time. Change filter every time you do oil change.

Last edited:

possum

Threads
That model shows a Kohler Courage twin cylinder. Those are pretty good engines. That mower should have a separate book for the engine. That is what most guys go by. If the unit is not used in winter them 10w30 is the oil the book calls for through the mowing season.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is a Kohler OHV engine it should have 10W-30 under all operating conditions.

wanderer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is is a Kohler 26 HP engine. No book regarding just the engine came with the mower. Thanks for the suggestions.

monika

Forum Newbie
Threads
Getting ready to change the oil for the first time on a husqvarna RZ5426. The manual is of no help. Three different sources recommend three different oils. What type of oil should I use? Should engine be run prior to changing? It seems to me that the impurities settled to the bottom over winter and could be drained better without running them through the engine. How often should the oil filter be changed.

what oil filter did you get?