John Deere 317 dies when PTO is engaged after 11 seconds

jonashlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 317 dies when PTO is engaged after 11 seconds
My mower was working great earlier this morning, but my switch to the pto shorted which fried the center (yellow) wire. I rewired back to beyond the damaged portion and now when it is engaged it will run for 11 (yes.. 11 seconds) then the motor dies. I thought it might of been a loose connection, but even when sitting still it will die right at that 11 second mark. Logic would say if the switch is bad it would not engage at all.

Any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You still have a short somewhere.
The voltage is dropping causing the fule shut off solenoid to close off the fuel supply

jonashlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have played some more with the unit. Searched all the wiring and could not locate any more shorts. did determine that if it is warm it dies quicker.. cold engine will last longer. I think the problem is actually with my PTO clutch. I unplugged it and the engine runs fine with the pto switch on.

Looking online it looks like the gap should be 12. Mine was a little loose. I adjusted all 4 bolts and checked the gaps at all areas. It engaged for about 45 seconds before it died. However this time it overheated the yellow wired again (which looking at the diagrams goes to the ignition switch)

Do you think I could have a pto clutch that is going bad or possibly debris in it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the PTO clutch has gone short.
When you engage it PO it is making a direct short on the battery whish in turn is putting a very heavy load on the generator which in turn is putting a way too heavy load on the engine.

As hard as I have tried I have never managed to correctly diagnose a PTO clutch with a meter so I will not offer any advice other than to take the clutch off & go to your nearest JD dealer & ask them to check it. You are of course putting your wallet in their hands but that is the best I can offer.

jonashlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for your replies. I took apart the PTO today and it is toast. Visible wires on it. For those of you that have bought a replacement, where is the best place (and most affordable)

Thank you again.

Jon