I need a chainsaw

JimmyWeb

Threads
I need to buy a chainsaw and was just wondering if anyone has any particular brand that they would recommend. I am relatively new to mowers, chainsaws and such. Any help would be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have a small job to do , with just medium and large limbs to cut? OR is it going to be a lot of large trees and a lot of fire wood you are prepping to cut?
These things will point you into different saws. KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The advice I've seen here is usually very good - I would ALSO look for a reputable dealer close to you and ask for their advice with the type of work you expect to be doing with the saw. I've had great luck with Stihl.

rekees

Threads
Stihl is the best. Size depends on job. They have a medium one called the Farm Boss that would likely do whatever job you have.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I forgot to mention - most brands have both homeowner and professional models in most sizes. The Pro models are built better and will last longer. Box Stores will usually have the homeowner or "occasional use" models - personally, I'd stay away from them.

em14

Threads
I forgot to mention - most brands have both homeowner and professional models in most sizes. The Pro models are built better and will last longer. Box Stores will usually have the homeowner or "occasional use" models - personally, I'd stay away from them.

The advice BK has given is very good ... Professional grade last so much longer and with less problems. I try to follow that guidence in the tools I buy.

Last edited:

rmancini

Threads
I've been replacing all of my 2-cycle tools (leaf blower, string trimmer, chainsaw, etc) through attrition.
All are now Stihl and I'm happy with all of them. I used to have a mish-mash of 2-cycle mix requirements - 16:1 , 32:1 and 50:1. All are now 50:1. Life is good!
Rich

mystreba

Threads
I think folks are right that you can't go wrong with Stihl, but if you are a homeowner taking down the occasional tree (18" diameter or less), I don't think you need to spend the money on a professional-grade chainsaw. I have an old Craftsman 18" that I "inherited" from the previous homeowner, and it has served me well for over 5 years now - starts first time everytime. I'm pretty rough on it, but keep it properly lubed and replace the chain occasionally. I've used it to cut down ~20 trees/bushes, countless branches and even many treated 6x8 timbers.

mystreba

Threads
I used to have a mish-mash of 2-cycle mix requirements - 16:1 , 32:1 and 50:1. All are now 50:1. Life is good!
Rich

This is an important point. All my 2-cycle equipment was 40:1, and I recently replaced my blower with a 50:1 machine - not thinking about the logistics. I now have to maintain multiple gas cans, clearly marked. PITA.

jimbo64

Threads
Stihl is the best. Size depends on job. They have a medium one called the Farm Boss that would likely do whatever job you have.

i agree- just put one to rest after 27 years-[stihl 041] which cut about 10 cords of firewood a year plus whatever else needed cut- can no longer get parts for it so bought a new lighter Huskavarna with an 18 " bar------lot easier to use then the old heavy stihl --we'll see how it holds up-------:thumbsup: