Front Axle on JD L120 How can I tell if the axle is bent? or the spindle(s)?

woodworkercharles

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Front Axle on JD L120 How can I tell if the axle is bent? or the spindle(s)?
I went to cross a ditch and the left wheel tried to to bend further to the left and bent something, because after getting it out of the ditch by backing up. The wheel both bowed out in the front or if one was straight the other was turned further out to the side. I took it apart and believe it is in the main axle rather than a spindle or linkage. Lying it on the bench it did act twisted a bit. Any ideas?

gfp55

Threads
  • / Front Axle on JD L120 How can I tell if the axle is bent? or the spindle(s)?
I think the front axle is cast iron, is that right? If its cast iron I would think it would break before it would bend. Do you have many pictures? The axle is way stronger then the spindles and drag links. Is the steering gear bent?

gfp55

Threads
After looking I found the axle is cast iron. You should look at both drag links, they have some bends in they by design so it will be hard to see a bend that is not supposed to be there.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My biggest pet peeve when it comes to lawnmowers is the double drag link steering as opposed to the older drag link and tie rod setup. Any adverse force on the front tires bents the steering links or any play in the bushing at the sector gear will cause a toe out or toe in situation which is a pain to fix. And then add play in the axle bushing that allows the axle to move front to back and the whole thing is off kilter and just a pain.