Clover and Dandelion control

kamakazee

Threads
Every spring I spray my lawn with a hand sprayer using 24D. This year it was 60 deg. when sprayed.
The intended plants leaves curl up and some leaves die but few plants die.
I'm using 2oz of 24D per gallon with dish soap for a surfactant and a fine mist spray.
Am I not mixing a strong enough mixture to kill the clover and dandelion?
My lawn is 2 acres in size FWIW.

Did some searching here and Triplet works on clover, does it kill dandelion?

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
triplet is a really good product, and it will rid you of unwanted broadleaf.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Used CrossBow per instructions. It kills dandelions. I read recently that dandelion roots actually help soil/grass by aerating. I like dandelion leaves in a salad, but wife cannot stand them. You gotta like bitters!!

possum

Threads
Places like Lowes and Home Depot have Spectracide Weed Stop for lawns Plus Crabgrass control. This stuff has 4 ingredients that kill both your weeds well. Another one is Ortho WeedBGone plus Crabgrass Control. Same place sells this. Works good on both weeds.

Goldshot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been using Weednar 64 which is, I'm told, 2, 4D. I like to use it when temperatures are closer to 70, at 60 degrees the weeds might be a bit sluggish thus not inclined to absorb the chemical.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been using Weednar 64 which is, I'm told, 2, 4D. I like to use it when temperatures are closer to 70, at 60 degrees the weeds might be a bit sluggish thus not inclined to absorb the chemical.

You may want to try a mixture of round up and harmony in the early spring before your grass starts to green up. The harmony has a residual affect that will prevent clover and dandelions from coming up. You can also spray round up and atrazine in the fall after your lawn has died. Be careful using atrazine. Nothing will grow where it is sprayed for 90 days. The reason I suggest using round up with these other chemicals is two fold. Round up does a decent job killing most broad leaf plants that are already up, and secondly it works as a surfactant. If your lawn is already green (like mine) due to rains preventing you from spraying, you can use Cimmaron. It won't harm most grasses, but is tough on broad leaf plants. It's very expensive though.

LoCo86

Threads
Every spring I spray my lawn with a hand sprayer using 24D. This year it was 60 deg. when sprayed. The intended plants leaves curl up and some leaves die but few plants die. I'm using 2oz of 24D per gallon with dish soap for a surfactant and a fine mist spray. Am I not mixing a strong enough mixture to kill the clover and dandelion? My lawn is 2 acres in size FWIW. Did some searching here and Triplet works on clover, does it kill dandelion?

Your mixture seems fine. I would focus on your approach on how you apply your chemicals. Don't use a fine mist spray use a wide fan spray it has more force behind it and is more likely to have enough pressure behind it to get the proper application. Also you might want to look at the soil saturation level. If the soil was still wet and kinda soggy that might also affect it. If your spring was anything like ours there has been nothing but rain. You might also want to buy a product like Triplet that no only has 2-4D but has MCCP and Dicamba for post emergent broad leaf control.

kamakazee

Threads
Your mixture seems fine. I would focus on your approach on how you apply your chemicals. Don't use a fine mist spray use a wide fan spray it has more force behind it and is more likely to have enough pressure behind it to get the proper application. Also you might want to look at the soil saturation level. If the soil was still wet and kinda soggy that might also affect it. If your spring was anything like ours there has been nothing but rain. You might also want to buy a product like Triplet that no only has 2-4D but has MCCP and Dicamba for post emergent broad leaf control.

Thank You, I'll give Triplet a try.

WinstonWalker

Forum Newbie
Threads
The weed control solution you found is quite effective from what I know, but I would never risk putting chemicals on my lawn, because you never know what effect would it have on the grass. And I also have a dog, who likes to spend lots of time sniffing something out there, and I don't want to risk poisoning him. This is why I use some natural methods when I have issues with weeds. For weeds between the cracks in my patio and use baking soda, and for the dandelions and other common weeds on the lawn, I usually use vinegar or vodka in a spray bottle. Once you spray them, they start drying and die. But in these cases you should really be very careful about the rest of the grass.