New honda crank shaft bent: Hard repair for moderate user? Owner scrapped it.

jsalis57

Threads
  • / New honda crank shaft bent: Hard repair for moderate user? Owner scrapped it.
Plastic timing sprocket (not gear) and synthetic rubber belt to drive the overhead. All good I guess. Personally, I popped two GC motors in the past 2 years and American Honda refused warranty on both. One was a rod through the lower end, the other was scrambled valves. Both replaced by cheap Harbor Freight motors. Hard to beat 99 bucks for a motor. Sent both the GC's to the landfill. Never an issue with the Honda OHV red motors. I have a decade old 13 horse that runs like a top.

That's why I will run my old GXV 120 on my 214SX forever. Bulletproof.

SidecarFlip

Threads
  • / New honda crank shaft bent: Hard repair for moderate user? Owner scrapped it.
From what I see, Honda is more focused on cheaper than quality today, especially with the GC motors. Like I stated, hard to beat a Predator motor for 99 bucks. I bet the Honda crank costs that.

I've beat the bejesus out of the 6 horse Pred on my pressure washer for the last 3 years. Just keeps on going. Change the oil once a year. Even has the original cheapo 'Torch' plug.

jsalis57

Threads
From what I see, Honda is more focused on cheaper than quality today, especially with the GC motors. Like I stated, hard to beat a Predator motor for 99 bucks. I bet the Honda crank costs that.

I've beat the bejesus out of the 6 horse Pred on my pressure washer for the last 3 years. Just keeps on going. Change the oil once a year. Even has the original cheapo 'Torch' plug.

Good to know at least in your experience the Pred engines perform well. I wonder if the Harbor Freight generators they have that compare to the $999.99 Honda perform similarly as well.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Good to know at least in your experience the Pred engines perform well. I wonder if the Harbor Freight generators they have that compare to the $999.99 Honda perform similarly as well.

I have no idea. I do have a Champion Inverter genny that has been fantastic now for 4 years of RV use. Had a Yamaha 2800 I but it was getting up in years and I was concerned about the electronics so I sold it.

My take is the Honda genny's are overpriced. but just my opinion. People seem to be pretty dedicated to their Honda genny's. My Champion was the same price as the Harbor Freight Inverter. My experience with HF is, if it breaks, you are basically screwed. Champion on the other hand has a nationwide network of repair centers, like Honda and Yamaha. All made offshore anyway. Even the domestic made Honda genny's have offshore components. Just assembled here and only certain models.

Had a very negative experience with HF a couple years back with a piece of equipment so I don't hold much candle in HF's reliability. I figure the Pred motors, as cheap as they are are basically a consumable item. Cannot get much cheaper for a complete running engine than 99 bucks.

Not sure who makes Pred motors. At one time Lifan did but I don't think they do now. Lifan made both Honda and Yamaha engines at one time as well.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I've had two predator engine products. I put over 200 hours on a 2" water pump, sold it in 2017, was still running well, and I ran it hard, sometimes over 8 hours straight, filling ponds. That was a 212 cc Predator engine. It was oversized for the pump size, and used too much gas for volume of water pumped compared to the Honda. The little 2 kW inverter generator starts and runs well too, no trouble yet.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I've had two predator engine products. I put over 200 hours on a 2" water pump, sold it in 2017, was still running well, and I ran it hard, sometimes over 8 hours straight, filling ponds. That was a 212 cc Predator engine. It was oversized for the pump size, and used too much gas for volume of water pumped compared to the Honda. The little 2 kW inverter generator starts and runs well too, no trouble yet.

Think that is what is on my pressure washer...the 212 cc. I have flogged that motor (and pressure washer pump) without mercy for years. I change the pressure pump oil(non detergent 30 weight) when I change the engine oil. Always starts first or second pull every time. She's washed a ton of farm equipment. I think it's an AR pump. Not sure. I bought a spare pump just in case but the spare sits on the shelf. Last unit was a CAT pump on a Briggs IC motor.. The Briggs went south and I sold the pump on Flea-Bay.

Pretty hard to go wrong for 99 bucks.

tranchinh

Threads
Unlike cheap Honda GC ,most Briggs and most lawnmower for home use on market right now that have no cast iron sleeve .Harbor freight predator engine made in China,a copy of Honda GX have cast iron sleeve so it last much longer

jsalis57

Threads
Unlike cheap Honda GC ,most Briggs and most lawnmower for home use on market right now that have no cast iron sleeve .Harbor freight predator engine made in China,a copy of Honda GX have cast iron sleeve so it last much longer

So, I am confused. Honda GC engines do or do not have cast iron sleeve?

SidecarFlip

Threads
For 99 bucks everyday. cast sleeve or not. who cares. It poops out you put on a new one. My Pred is going strong, 3 hard years now. Burns cheap gas and uses cheap oil. I'm happy.

tranchinh

Threads
So, I am confused. Honda GC engines do or do not have cast iron sleeve?

Honda GC and most engine for home use have no cast iron sleeve but harbor freight engine do have cast iron sleeve