TORO Riding Mower 8-32 Clutch Problem

Threads
My trusty Toro riding mower 8-32 if 29 years has a clutch problem. I took it out for the first time this year and was mowing and pressed in the clutch to stop but it kept going. I have no clutch now. I stood it up and looked at the clutch assembly and rod back to the rear pulley assembly that moves and takes the tension off the belt. Things seem to look correct. But, the pedal is down a bit and when I push it it doesn't take the tension off the rear pulley area to engage. Thanks for any help!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post complete toro model & serial numbers from unit as well as all numbers from engine so we can help you out. Sounds like you need to replace clutch assembly.

Threads
I have all the original stickers bot not see a model or serial number of the unit. By any chance would you know where they might be?

Threads
PS I'm actually fairly mechanically inclined but this problem is driving me a little nutty. Everything looks correct in the front assembly, the linkage is hooked up correctly according to the Toro diagram. But, somehow it is not pulling the tension off the belt in the back of the mower. Thank you very much for your help.

Threads
It's just a clutch pedal with a long rod (attached by a cotter pin) that goes to the rear of the mower to a small pulley on a triangular shaped plate (attached by a cotter pin) that pivets and takes the tension off the belt.

I guess this will be a learning experience for me, but I cannot see anything that looks incorrect.

Threads
Maybe as you can tell by all of my posts here this evening I am a little obscessed with this repair. I have been starring at it and trying to understand this for most of the day. It's like IF that long linkage rod from the pedal to the triangular shaped plate with the small pulley was *just a little shorter* THEN it would work. The spring in the back of the mower would pull the pedal up to the correct position and as well when I pushed on the pedal it would take the tension off of the belt like it is supposed to do. Maybe the linkage rod had a bend in it that straightened out enough to cause this problem. The design couldn't be more simple, very confusing. :confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
take a few photos then pull the whole assembly out.
Beter than average chance some of the pivot holes are flogged oval as will the the pedal connection.
A little bit here and a little bit there then suddenly it just won't work.
You have the concept down pat so it should not be a problem for you.

Just one thing that worries me is if you have stood a rear engine rider on its bum, the oil will be filling up the carb or exhaust so make sure you pull the plug out when you get it back down , turn it over a bit and give the oil time to get mostly back where it should be before you try to test your repair.

Threads
take a few photos then pull the whole assembly out.
Beter than average chance some of the pivot holes are flogged oval as will the the pedal connection.
A little bit here and a little bit there then suddenly it just won't work.
You have the concept down pat so it should not be a problem for you.

Just one thing that worries me is if you have stood a rear engine rider on its bum, the oil will be filling up the carb or exhaust so make sure you pull the plug out when you get it back down , turn it over a bit and give the oil time to get mostly back where it should be before you try to test your repair.

Very cool, thanks! I did drain the oil and the gas and took the battery out before I stood it up. That makes sense what you say, especially in the back steel plate with the little pulley, it's like the slot is too long. The front pedal hole is small where the linkage fits in, but in the part in the back, if the slot there was smaller it would work.