Does Someone Know What This Loud, Sharp, Metallic Sound is?

opeepingtomo

Threads
  • / Does Someone Know What This Loud, Sharp, Metallic Sound is?
I don't know any way to describe it other than my lawnmower sounds more loud/sharp and metallic sounding now.

I was mowing a couple of days ago and everything was fine. I started to run low on gas so I parked, got some more, and filled back up. After I started mowing again, after a couple of minutes I noticed it sounded louder/different. It doesn't matter whether the blades are engaged or not.

It still seems to ride smooth and cut fine, but I am scared it is going to break or something if i keep running it when it sounds like this.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Sorry, I am dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I am going to attach a video of what it sounds like (not sure how accurately my phone can capture it though).

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/srotmjpf0bsg4v7/20150411_083040.mp4?dl=0[/video]

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My first guess would be muffler shield. Second would be loose muffler. Has a sheet metal sound.

opeepingtomo

Threads
My first guess would be muffler shield. Second would be loose muffler. Has a sheet metal sound.

I am thinking (and hoping) that you are correct. One bold was missing that keeps the muffler attached and the second one is loose.

Going to go get second bolt from hardware store later and tighten everything up to see if that fixes. If it does, this forum has been a lifesaver once again!

Thanks.

opeepingtomo

Threads
I am thinking (and hoping) that you are correct. One bold was missing that keeps the muffler attached and the second one is loose.

Going to go get second bolt from hardware store later and tighten everything up to see if that fixes. If it does, this forum has been a lifesaver once again!

Thanks.

I had a bolt laying around that fit. Put the original back in along with a replacement for the one that was completely missing and it is back to sounding normal again. Thank you so much for the help. Is it normal for these to loosen so much that they fall out? They were pretty tight after tightening them all the way, so I am wondering if they weren't tightened all of the way when the mower was originally assembled.

Thanks again!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some are bad for coming loose and falling out. So I would recheck them after running a few hours to make sure they are not coming loose again. the other things that happens is the bolts will seize in the aluminum and then pull the threads when you go to remove the muffler mounting bolts.