Fabricated deck mulching kits

chiefcook

Threads
New owner of a Dixon Ultra 52 SE from Ashdown, AR. I am having fun learning how to drive but already getting comfortable with it.

I always mulched with my old Craftsman 42" lawn tractor and would like to with this machine. Does anyone have any experience with the Husqvarna 52" fabricated deck mulching kit? I could try Gator blades but would rather not have the side discharge chute.

Dave1954

Threads
its frustrating that with all the folks on here its so hard to get people to respond to questions. I could use a answer to this too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You would be lucky to find more that a dozen people on this list ( or any other one ) running your combination of mower & deck.
Dixon with a Husqvarna deck ?
Most only come here to be told how to fix their problem then dissappear till the next problem.

I have a couple of customers who run the 48" fab decks on Husqvarna LT 2648's and both have given up mulching.
This is because they want to cut their grass 1/2 " long and could not appreciate that the mulched grass needs some where to go and the extra updraft will stirr up a lot of dust ( geese, read the instruction manual, thats a bit rich ).
OTOH just about all of the commercial mowers mulch.

Now the difference in price between the mulching blades & throwing blades is about $ 10.00 down here, so $ 30.00 a machine or is terms we can all understand 2 x six packs of local beer.
So put them on and see if you like them.
Remember to cut higher, 2" is minimum 3" is better
Clean out the build up under the deck or it will be a ventilated deck in no time flat.
Clean out the accumulation of clippings & dust from under the mower. Air is best water needs care or you will suck water into the spindles and kill them in less than a season.
This is very important on Husqvarna Lawn Tactors as the crud builds up under the clutch/brake pedal stop which prevents the pedal going fully home which promotes belt slip and will eventually stop it driving all together, kill the belt and even the idler pulleys.

No idea if any of this applies to your decks on your mowers but it does apply to 48" Husqvarna decks on their bigger LT's & GT's

mdjamesd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the reinforced deck and use the mulching plate. Still have the original blades on it, and it mulches fine. I havent pulled the discharge chute off yet, mymainly because of messing with the spring, and it looks as though the mulching plate attaches to the chute mounting plate.

chiefcook

Threads
Thanks for the reply. just to clarify, the Dixon is a zero turn and according to my dealer the fabricated deck is the same as the Husqvarna.

chiefcook

Threads
Update to original post. I asked my dealer about purchasing the mulching kit which has baffels that need to be added to deck and costs over $200. He recomended fabricating a plate to cover discharge chute and using regular baldes. Said he would sell me the kit but try this first. I took his advice and so far it has worked like a charm. At times it leaves some clippings on the discharge side but no more than other mulching mowers. I am very happy with the results and my dealer who saved my some money.

As a plus, there seems to be less build up in the deck. Have mowed twice and is is clean.