Kathryn in Texas

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great Green thumb with gardens, allergic to wasps, and this is where my problem started.
I have a Huskee 16.5 OHV Briggs and Stratton
313777-0112-E1 00337ZE
Model- Type Code All of this is located on top of the engine, where the fuel filters are at.

TSC-44-9761-5----MTD 13AN673G131 All of this is located under the seat.

Replaced a new Starter Solenoid: Connected the red wire coming from the battery, which also has a small red wire connected to it on the left side of the solenoid.
Connected the black wire coming from the battery, which also has a small green connected to it, and connected it to the right side of the solenoid.

? There is a black protected cable with a solid red cable with a post connector, does this wire also go to the red battery cable? I was placing the negative terminal bolt on the battery, when a spark flash, even before I placed the nut on the bolt. I am moving the negative wire from touching the housing for the solenoid; after reading an article under installing a car battery.

Thank you,
Kathryn

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. Went there, type the model, serial number unknown, didn't go thru, gave up. Called the lawn mower shop where I purchase the starter.
Out of 3 wires connected to started, I had only 1 correct. I have to place the ground wire behind the starter, and mount it on the frame. Then find the wire from the starter and place it on the other side of the starter solenoid. I ask him about the spark, and he said I had it wired incorrectly, and if I wire like he says there should no spark.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the info. Went there, type the model, serial number unknown, didn't go thru, gave up. Called the lawn mower shop where I purchase the starter.
Out of 3 wires connected to started, I had only 1 correct. I have to place the ground wire behind the starter, and mount it on the frame. Then find the wire from the starter and place it on the other side of the starter solenoid. I ask him about the spark, and he said I had it wired incorrectly, and if I wire like he says there should no spark.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Kathryn , my sincere apology, sorry for misleading you on the manual, I've put up the link to the manuals page for your model, the wiring diagrams are in the ..............PARTS GUIDE 00, Form # 770-10006C starting at Pg. 36 , you'll have to enlarge your view or maximize your screen to read it properly, ... again ... SORRY for the mistake, ......... Boobala ....:ashamed:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...Code=03&modelNumber=13an673g131&serialNumber=

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Great Green thumb with gardens, allergic to wasps, and this is where my problem started.
I have a Huskee 16.5 OHV Briggs and Stratton
313777-0112-E1 00337ZE
Model- Type Code All of this is located on top of the engine, where the fuel filters are at.

TSC-44-9761-5----MTD 13AN673G131 All of this is located under the seat.

Replaced a new Starter Solenoid: Connected the red wire coming from the battery, which also has a small red wire connected to it on the left side of the solenoid.
Connected the black wire coming from the battery, which also has a small green connected to it, and connected it to the right side of the solenoid.

? There is a black protected cable with a solid red cable with a post connector, does this wire also go to the red battery cable? I was placing the negative terminal bolt on the battery, when a spark flash, even before I placed the nut on the bolt. I am moving the negative wire from touching the housing for the solenoid; after reading an article under installing a car battery.

Thank you,
Kathryn

Wrong way to wire it, the red wire goes to the solenoid either side makes no difference,
the black wire from the battery goes to the frame of the mower or to an engine bolt.
The other side of the solenoid has the thick wire that goes to the starter motor connected to it.

The side from the battery should also have a thinner wire that goes up to the ignition switch. It will usually have a fuse in it.

You have effectively created a short circuit directly across the battery

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
bertsmobile1,

Hello, I followed the instructions that you had given to me, and it started up like a charm. My yard now looks like a yard, instead of a field, and don't have to worry about Rattlesnakes and Copperheads hiding around the house in the tall grass.

Thanks a bunch for your information.
Kathryn

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kathryn , my sincere apology, sorry for misleading you on the manual, I've put up the link to the manuals page for your model, the wiring diagrams are in the ..............PARTS GUIDE 00, Form # 770-10006C starting at Pg. 36 , you'll have to enlarge your view or maximize your screen to read it properly, ... again ... SORRY for the mistake, ......... Boobala ....:ashamed:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...Code=03&modelNumber=13an673g131&serialNumber=

Hello Boobala,

I got the mower running, used a couple of times, and this morning it wont start. I have the choke pull out all of the way, the throttle position half way, the brake on, in neutral, and the blades unengaged. Is there a switch somewhere that is causing the mower not to start. Thanks, Kathryn

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Boobala,

I got the mower running, used a couple of times, and this morning it wont start. I have the choke pull out all of the way, the throttle position half way, the brake on, in neutral, and the blades unengaged. Is there a switch somewhere that is causing the mower not to start. Thanks, Kathryn

Is it clicking?
Turning over and over(cranking), but not starting?
No noise whatsoever?

Did the battery go dead? possibly a wire still wrong.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it clicking?
No noise whatsoever?

Please answer the questions posed by shiftsuper.... ALSO ... Do you have a Digital Volt Meter ( DVM ) ....... are you familiar with it's use , do you know BASIC electric circuitry ????
Please recheck any wiring you worked on, for loose or broken connections , it's possible something came loose while you were mowing .... Boobala

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it clicking?
No noise whatsoever?

It is turning over and over, but not starting. I followed the directions from two guys telling me how to replace the starter solenoid, the wire to the clip on was loose, push it back on the clip. The brass or copper bolts have discoloration on them. The battery is starting to drain. I have no tools to check any type of voltage on the mower.
Thanks,
Kathryn