Kathryn in Texas

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either it is not getting any fuel or not getting any spark.
No fuel will be the cut off solenoid under the carb.
Hold it with your fingers and it should click when you turn the mower on & off, no need to crank.

If it s a no spark situation tht will most likely be because one of the safety switches is not working.
You will need some tools to test these, a minimum will be a test lamp.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hold it with your fingers and it should click when you turn the mower on & off, no need to crank.

If it s a no spark situation tht will most likely be because one of the safety switches is not working.

Electrical problems are difficult to diagnose without a meter to at least check voltage readings , not trying to be a wiseguy but have you checked your oil level lately, some engines are equipped with a low oil switch that prevents the engine from starting if the oil level is unsafe, have you checked the fuse in the wire harness ...... bert is right on with his info, and charge the battery before you kill it entirely, you can spray a SMALL amount of starting fluid into the carburetor after removing the air filter and see if it runs for a brief period , if it does .... it appears to be a fuel problem, if it does'nt even try to start it's most likely not getting spark ....... these are the basic requirements for an engine to run . What is the extent of your mechanical knowledge ... have you ever worked on a small engine before... ??? Keep us informed ...... Boobala

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kathryn in Texas...
I was thinking about you new problem along with reading all the responses.
It is a fuel, firing, or air problem...that is what all the responses are saying.

1) Are you out of gas? it happens...
2)Did the plug foul? I ran out of gas and it backfired. I pulled the plug because it would not start...then I realized I had run out of gas.
3) Is the air filter dirty? not enough air flow to pull fuel...try to start without air filter and/or put a little gas in the breather tube and start it.

Start with the simplest first and narrow it down to an air, fuel, or firing problem.
Then, we can work our way through it.

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kathryn in Texas...
I was thinking about you new problem along with reading all the responses.
It is a fuel, firing, or air problem...that is what all the responses are saying.

1) Are you out of gas? it happens...
2)Did the plug foul? I ran out of gas and it backfired. I pulled the plug because it would not start...then I realized I had run out of gas.
3) Is the air filter dirty? not enough air flow to pull fuel...try to start without air filter and/or put a little gas in the breather tube and start it.

Start with the simplest first and narrow it down to an air, fuel, or firing problem.
Then, we can work our way through it.

I took the air filter off, its ok, I clean the small round fuel filter, and I can't remove the bolt attach from the air filter to the fuel bowel underneath the air filter holder. I'm going to see if I can a small pipe to tap lightly with a hammer to knock it loose, I've spray WD-40 around the bolt. I plan to check the spark plug next, then research where the safety switches are located. I know the deck safety switch is good, because it would start when I tired to start it incorrect. I also place a new ignition switch because the old one was corroded, and see if the new fuse on the starter solenoid has blown again.
Thanks,
Kathryn

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
I inspected the machine the other day. The hose from the air filter going to where ever is damaged.
The fuel bowel has a bolt that has a connector with two wires connected it to. Is this the cut off solenoid? If so how do I remove it to clean the fuel bowel.
There is a fuel line that is to hard to pinch, I'm planning to replace that one, because the other sections connected from the gas tank are flowing gasoline. I know the safety switches for the blades work, the one under the seat works, and the other one, I don't know where it is located at.

Thanks,
Kathryn

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good idea to replace the hose
The solenoid is the thing with the wires on it.
There is a thin hex above the solenoid but most just disconnect the wires & turn the solenoid counter clockwise.
The solenoid is the bowl nut.

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took the bad vacuum hose off, the brittle gas hose, took the fuel solenoid off, can not remove the fuel solenoid off of the fuel bowel. I guess I need to use a needle nose pliers to take off the solenoid while turning counter clockwise. While removing these items, a wire shape like a rectangle fell to the ground. I mark the throttle and choke levers locations before I removed the wires from their locations. If you can tell me where I need to replace this wire to its location that will be great.

Thanks,
Kathryn

kathrynwilliams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Morning Boobala,

Yes I did, and the 3rd file was very informational. The eithers I had saved for references for parts for the mower. So this morning, I am going to pick up the parts that I have removed, and will install them to the machine. I am considering to buy the wires to the fuel solenoid since it did not click like the other man had said it would. Then also get that lamp test to test the safety switches.
Thanks a bunch,
Kathryn

Did you see these files , they are links to information on your machine .......... :mur: