Snakes Vs. Dogs??

JimmyWeb

Threads
I just bought a nice piece of land, and I saw a black snake in my woodpile yesterday. I have a German Shepard puppy and I was curious if the black snake would harm him? If he will not bother my dog then I have no reason to bother him.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
I just bought a nice piece of land, and I saw a black snake in my woodpile yesterday. I have a German Shepard puppy and I was curious if the black snake would harm him? If he will not bother my dog then I have no reason to bother him.

Doubtfull, my GSD was courious about snakes but never bothered them to the point that the snake felt it needed to strike. Usually it would slither off into the weeds and Elsie would loose interest.

Is your pup full blood?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Black Snakes are non-venomous and will actually kill copperheads -- I'll take all the BlackSnakes I can get !

I didn't notice where you are, but try to keep the areas where the dog will go cut fairly low and it will be less likely to encounter snakes or surprise them.

ReggieDeere

Threads
Yeah I have to say that black snakes can be blessings for when you have rodent problems, I think that your black snake would have to worry more about your dog then the other way around.:wink:

Black Snakes are non-venomous and will actually kill copperheads -- I'll take all the BlackSnakes I can get !

I didn't notice where you are, but try to keep the areas where the dog will go cut fairly low and it will be less likely to encounter snakes or surprise them.

harleyron74

Threads
I don't belive you have any poisonous snakes in the D.C. area (Well, there might be A few on Capitol Hill!) so I would think your dog is safe. Cars are a much bigger threat to the little guy.

Good Luck!
H.R.

BlueGrass

Threads
Unless the snake is poisonous then I would leave it alone. If it's a poisonous snake then I would try to get rid of it for the sake of you and your dog. If the snake is staying in the wood pile and only coming out to feed I wouldn't worry.

SallyA

Threads

I've always hated and been afraid of all snakes whether they are venomous or not. Now that I know that black snakes kill copperheads, I have a new attitude. Black snakes are okay, but I still hope they stay out of my garden.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've always hated and been afraid of all snakes whether they are venomous or not. Now that I know that black snakes kill copperheads, I have a new attitude. Black snakes are okay, but I still hope they stay out of my garden.

I have never seen a poisonous snake on our property but we have a lot of garter (or garden) snakes. My cats find them very interesting and I try to keep the snakes from being hurt when my guys discover one. Last year my black and white cat was following a good size garter snake and the snake slithered into his underground home, my cat sat there and looked at the opening his expression was "WTF DID THAT THING DISAPPEAR TO? It was so funny.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Keep all the Black Snakes you can get - they will actually eat poisenous snakes and won't bother the dog ! :thumbsup:

patches

Threads
I have Fox Terriers and they came across a snake. They were barking like crazy, but when I checked, they were keeping a little distance between them and the snake. I don't know if that would be true for all dogs all the time, though, or if they were in striking distance if the snake had been poisonous, There were three of them and when I chased them away, the snake crawled into the woods.