Honda 4514 PTO clutch problem

marniedale

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a Honda 4514 in pristine condition. The only apparent issue is when I engage the PTO the blade come up to speed very slow and when I tried to cut with it (in short grass) it would stall the motor. I have removed the deck and checked all the deck pulleys for free movement and they check out fine. I removed the clutch assembly and took it to a Honda dealer to verify that the lining was still in serviceable range. I have put it back together and adjusted it according to the Honda service manual.
I had previously cleaned the carburetor and installed a new air filter and fuel filter. I am wondering if perhaps the timing belt may have need to be looked at (big job) in case it has skipped a tooth or more Before I get the deck back on, etc is there anything else I should be checking? It is going to be awhile before I have to use it since it snowed this morning. I do have a Kubota riding mower but had always wanted a Honda.
When I purchased the mower the blades were slow to come up to speed an the previous owner commented that the belt was tight (it is a new belt) but unless I am missing something the belt does not seem to be "tight" and should not cause the blades to come up to speed slowly and stall the motor when trying to take a light cut.
Any thoughts or suggestions.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure belt is correct oem honda belt, remove idler pulleys and check bearings by rotating by hand, let us know what you find, just spinning them while on deck won,t cut it, idler bearings are usually sealed bearings & therefore need to be checked by hand for dragging, sloppy play, etc. I changed idler pulley,s last year being 4 years old due to bearings dragging. I would also adjust valves engine cold per manual specs. Click on lane family PDF for your shop manual.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...hrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US#imgrc=_ See troubleshooting section

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slip the deck off , try to rock the blades and lift them up & down.
There can be a slight up/down movement but if you can rock the blades it is new spindle bearing time.
Not sure if yours has a blade brake Most Honda's did, but if so check it disengages when you lower the deck
Other than that make some steep ramps to put a load on the mower when going up them or drag some thing heavy to put a load on the engine.

If the engine dies check you have adjusted the Govenor properly and fitted the throttle linkages properly so the governor allows the throttle to open up as the engine slows down.

marniedale

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure belt is correct oem honda belt, remove idler pulleys and check bearings by rotating by hand, let us know what you find, just spinning them while on deck won,t cut it, idler bearings are usually sealed bearings & therefore need to be checked by hand for dragging, sloppy play, etc. I changed idler pulley,s last year being 4 years old due to bearings dragging. I would also adjust valves engine cold per manual specs. Click on lane family PDF for your shop manual.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...hrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US#imgrc=_ See troubleshooting section

I removed the deck and the deck belt belt and checked all the pulleys as you suggested. There is no sloppy play and all pulleys spin freely. The deck belt was a Gates High Power II B belt. The Honda service manual specs a LB belt but cannot determine what a "LB" belt is other than a type of B belt. You mentioned that I should use a Honda belt. Would a Gates belt not be just as good?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I removed the deck and the deck belt belt and checked all the pulleys as you suggested. There is no sloppy play and all pulleys spin freely. The deck belt was a Gates High Power II B belt. The Honda service manual specs a LB belt but cannot determine what a "LB" belt is other than a type of B belt. You mentioned that I should use a Honda belt. Would a Gates belt not be just as good?
Gates makes automotive belts.

marniedale

Forum Newbie
Threads
Slip the deck off , try to rock the blades and lift them up & down.
There can be a slight up/down movement but if you can rock the blades it is new spindle bearing time.
Not sure if yours has a blade brake Most Honda's did, but if so check it disengages when you lower the deck
Other than that make some steep ramps to put a load on the mower when going up them or drag some thing heavy to put a load on the engine.

If the engine dies check you have adjusted the Govenor properly and fitted the throttle linkages properly so the governor allows the throttle to open up as the engine slows down.

As you suggested I took the deck off and removed the deck belt and checked all pulleys. I rocked the blades and they are tight and spin freely although I did notice that the right hand blade was noisy.
When the weather warms up and the snow is gone I will get the rider out and put a load on it as you suggested to see if that is where the problem is.
This mower does not have a blade brake. I know that a Kubota I have has one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you suggested I took the deck off and removed the deck belt and checked all pulleys. I rocked the blades and they are tight and spin freely although I did notice that the right hand blade was noisy.
When the weather warms up and the snow is gone I will get the rider out and put a load on it as you suggested to see if that is where the problem is.
This mower does not have a blade brake. I know that a Kubota I have has one.

The noisy one will need replacement .
Generally the right one goes first good plan to do both at the same time they are only a few $ and relatively easy to replace.