thoughts on comparing ZTR

Chugbug

Threads
I'm going to be buying my first ZTR in the next couple of months. I've got narrowed down to 3 mowers
60" Hustler X One with Kaw motor
60" John Deere Z925m
60" Scag Cheetah.
I really like the Cheetah but for the $$$ not so sure. Like the looks of the JD looks heavy duty but never owned any JD products and the Hustler looks really heavy duty but a more simple design. From everything I've researched all 3 cut well, I'm more interested in in the build and comfort of the ride. My property is 6 acres and flat as a board but as it is old corn fields it's fairly rough. Currently use a BX25 with 60" belly mower and it takes roughly 5 hours and the tractor beats me to death. Need a ride where I can stretch out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rail5042

Threads
Not sure about the John Deere but the other two are not cheap mowers. Buddies work has a SCAG and he loves it. For the money your looking to spend I would ask to demo them all. If your tractor is rough the wrong ztr could have you peeing blood the first run.

1striper1

Threads
Do you have a relationship with any of the mentioned brands dealer? Any of them have a good or questionable reputation locally?

When you are thinking about the brands that you are (can't go wrong with any of them IMO) my feeling is that the dealer that has the best service and support would get my business.

Adds:

Kawi FX engines get my vote.
DO NOT get a rear discharge unless you know beforehand how it will cut and leave the grass clippings on your yard.
Get the best suspension seat you can to mitigate the rough terrain.
Flex Forks on the XOne adds a bit of comfort to the package
Negotiate free delivery as well as free pickup & delivery + loaner mower if yours is ever in for repairs

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have a relationship with any of the mentioned brands dealer? Any of them have a good or questionable reputation locally?

When you are thinking about the brands that you are (can't go wrong with any of them IMO) my feeling is that the dealer that has the best service and support would get my business.

Adds:

Kawi FX engines get my vote.
DO NOT get a rear discharge unless you know beforehand how it will cut and leave the grass clippings on your yard.
Get the best suspension seat you can to mitigate the rough terrain.
Flex Forks on the XOne adds a bit of comfort to the package
Negotiate free delivery as well as free pickup & delivery + loaner mower if yours is ever in for repairs

I agree any of the three mentioned mowers would be a good mower. Out of the three the Hustler would be my choice. The Dealer I use sells the Hustler, Scag and Toro and I preferred the Toro Z-Master series. As far as engine Kawasaki would also get my vote but you can keep the suspension seats and the flex forks because there just added expense and don't really amount to all that much. The rear discharge has its advantages in certain cases like residential use if you have a lot of flower beds, pool enclosures etc or perhaps cemetery work. For the most part side discharge will be sufficient for the homeowner.

The thing you also may want to look at is the warranty time periods, who has the best warranty for the money being spent.

1striper1

Threads
I agree any of the three mentioned mowers would be a good mower. Out of the three the Hustler would be my choice. The Dealer I use sells the Hustler, Scag and Toro and I preferred the Toro Z-Master series. As far as engine Kawasaki would also get my vote but you can keep the suspension seats and the flex forks because there just added expense and don't really amount to all that much. The rear discharge has its advantages in certain cases like residential use if you have a lot of flower beds, pool enclosures etc or perhaps cemetery work. For the most part side discharge will be sufficient for the homeowner.

I mention suspension seat and flex forks because the OP said his terrain is rough. IMO - a suspension seat makes a huge difference when you mow on rough terrain....as I have. Fully agree on the rear discharge as long as you are happy with the overall cut quality. I'm not happy with mine (doesn't cut the clippings fine enough like a mulching deck will) on my XOne and that's why I'm trying to sell it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I mention suspension seat and flex forks because the OP said his terrain is rough. IMO - a suspension seat makes a huge difference when you mow on rough terrain....as I have. Fully agree on the rear discharge as long as you are happy with the overall cut quality. I'm not happy with mine (doesn't cut the clippings fine enough like a mulching deck will) on my XOne and that's why I'm trying to sell it.

Have you tried the G6 Gator blades on it, they made a bib difference on my Z Master. The clippings all but disappeared.

1striper1

Threads
Have you tried the G6 Gator blades on it, they made a bib difference on my Z Master. The clippings all but disappeared.

On the RD deck on my XOne, the RH most blade (blade #3) is counter rotating (LH rotating) towards the center. Oregon does not offer a LH rotating Gator blade. Going off of memory a bit here....I tried the standard Gator blades on blades 1 & 2 and a high lift on #3. Also tried either the G5 or G6 (would have to look up my purchase records) with no change in clippings left behind.

Re-leveled the deck 2X......going from 1/4" higher in back....to level....to 1/4" higher in front....no change.

My thinking is that with the high blade speed and the deck design, the grass gets evacuated so quickly that unless a drastic change is made, it'll make little if any difference.

Up here in Wisconsin I'm cutting 50% KBG and 30% fescue. Grass is pretty thick and sticky. Harder to cut up the clippings as fine as I'd like them with a deck that can't mulch. The two Simplicity's I've owned did (Prestige)/still do (Broadmoor) a fine job of mulching.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
All three are well built mowers. Hustler would be my top choice of the three as well. I agree with the earlier post that you should demo all three. If ride is one of your top priorities, you may want to check out a ferris is2100 (if you have a local dealer). The independent suspension will give a much better ride than the other brands can offer. Also has plenty of engine options. The fx series Kawi is a top of the line engine, but the big block vanguard is a great engine as well.

Chugbug

Threads
They priced the X One for 8999. 60" with suspension seat I believe the 850 Kaw.
The JD Z925m for 8999. Suspension seat, 60". And the 24.5 Kohler
Cheetah 60" with the 850 Kaw. 10,400.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
They priced the X One for 8999. 60" with suspension seat I believe the 850 Kaw.
The JD Z925m for 8999. Suspension seat, 60". And the 24.5 Kohler
Cheetah 60" with the 850 Kaw. 10,400.

I believe I would test them before purchasing. I don't know if the 24.5 hp kohler will have enough torque to turn a 60" deck if rains prevent you from mowing every 5 to 7 days. The 850 Kawi has plenty of power. I would check with every mower dealer in your area. You can get a great mower for 9k that offers everything you want.