Mz 5225 Won't start after it has been running Fine???

porkchop

Threads
  • / Mz 5225 Won't start after it has been running Fine???
Hello everyone! I need some help. I have a strange situation for you. I go into my shed and turn on the mower to back it out and cut the grass. As always it starts cold just fine. However the other day I cut half the yard and stopped it in front of the front door. I went in to get a drink and my hat since the clouds were going away. So after about five minutes I went out and tried to start the MZ 5225 and nothing. No clicking noise I mean dead silence. my cousin came over with his multi-meter and checked the battery and it was fine. After getting it back in the shed ( with Help) I parked it for a day. Then having another day off two days later I went to cut the grass and it started fine cold as it did before. Started right up. I didn't dare stop in the middle of cutting the rest of the grass though. Has anyone had this problem before? IS there an overheating sensor on this machine that might be acting up? I find this very strange. Thanks for your time in advance!!!

One last thing. I found on another site where someone with the same mower was having the same problem. Someone told them the air filter is bad or needs cleaned. Today I went out and cleaned my filter and yes the pre filter was very dirty. I don't know if that is the cure though. I don't see how it could be.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check you oil level.
That mower come with an oil sentry system .
If the oil level is low it won't start.
When cold all the oil has drained back into the sump.
After use a lot of oil is distributed all over the engine so the sump can be just low enough to stop the engine starting.
Happens a lot with Dixions & Dixie Choppers fitted with B & S V-twins.

After that the won't go when hot syndrome starts to get complicated & expensive.

porkchop

Threads
Check you oil level.
That mower come with an oil sentry system .
If the oil level is low it won't start.
When cold all the oil has drained back into the sump.
After use a lot of oil is distributed all over the engine so the sump can be just low enough to stop the engine starting.
Happens a lot with Dixions & Dixie Choppers fitted with B & S V-twins.

After that the won't go when hot syndrome starts to get complicated & expensive.

The oil is at the proper level. Checked it several times.

fragger-ks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tag for info. I have the same mower with the same problem... Oil levels are fine, clean filter, battery fully charged. I took the key switch out of the console, thinking maybe a wire came loose but didn't find anything. Put it back together and it started fine...

porkchop

Threads
Tag for info. I have the same mower with the same problem... Oil levels are fine, clean filter, battery fully charged. I took the key switch out of the console, thinking maybe a wire came loose but didn't find anything. Put it back together and it started fine...

It is a very frustrating problem. The kohler 25 hp engine is great and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I cant help wonder if there is a sensor messing things up. Hopefully the rain will stop and I can take it out and look at it tomorrow.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone! I need some help. I have a strange situation for you. I go into my shed and turn on the mower to back it out and cut the grass. As always it starts cold just fine. However the other day I cut half the yard and stopped it in front of the front door. I went in to get a drink and my hat since the clouds were going away. So after about five minutes I went out and tried to start the MZ 5225 and nothing. No clicking noise I mean dead silence. my cousin came over with his multi-meter and checked the battery and it was fine. After getting it back in the shed ( with Help) I parked it for a day. Then having another day off two days later I went to cut the grass and it started fine cold as it did before. Started right up. I didn't dare stop in the middle of cutting the rest of the grass though. Has anyone had this problem before? IS there an overheating sensor on this machine that might be acting up? I find this very strange. Thanks for your time in advance!!!

One last thing. I found on another site where someone with the same mower was having the same problem. Someone told them the air filter is bad or needs cleaned. Today I went out and cleaned my filter and yes the pre filter was very dirty. I don't know if that is the cure though. I don't see how it could be.

You left the blades engaged when you shut it off? Disengage the blades and problem solved.
Some other safety switch...seat? is sticking?

porkchop

Threads

You left the blades engaged when you shut it off? Disengage the blades and problem solved.
Some other safety switch...seat? is sticking?

No I wish it was that simple, the blades were off and the brake on to start it. I cut the grass today with it and it ran fine. Once I got the mower back in the shed I cut the mower off and then tried starting it again. Started right up after cutting an acre of grass (engine hot like before). However I did clean the air filters Pre-filter since last mowing. I don't know why that would have anything to do with it, but maybe. It ran fine dirty that day but would not start back up again after cutting half the yard. Strange!! Maybe it was enough blockage to not start a hot engine. Thanks for your suggestion though and trying to help!!!!! LOL oh yes and the safety seat sensor I checked too because my snapper gave me that problem. On the snapper rear engine rider I have it would shake lose after a while. Thought the same thing with this mower but it was tight. Again thanks and I will now make sure the filter's pre-filter gets cleaned and stays clean. Take care

lonestarjeff

Threads
Porkchop....did your no-start problem ever come back again?

whiskeymike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Porkchop....did your no-start problem ever come back again?

I have the same problem with an RZ 5424 with a Kawa motor.

It began with after mowing for a while, I'd stop for a drink, come back starter won't spin. Leave it for a while and starts right up.

Checked all connections, fuse, tested battery was fine, couldn't find anything.

This happened maybe 4 times(different days), so it was pretty consistent.

Next time it happened, I was tired of waiting or towing it to the garage, so I grabbed jumper cables and connected it to my jeep and bam, started right up! Excited, I run down and got a battery, even splurged and bought one with an extra 150 CCA! Swapped it out, everything ran great, but only that evening.(yesterday)

Today, my son tries to cut the lawn, gets halfway done, stops, it won't restart. Ugh! Grab the jumper cables, hook them up, makes no difference. I then disconnect jumper cables from Jeep, and decide to by pass solenoid. Starter spins and engine starts right up!

So, I don't think it's safety switches like seats, blades, etc..

The only things that make sense is solenoid and wire harness. I read on a different site, about a different mower/mower, someone commented the valves might need adjustment because they could be open causing the compression to be too high, but I don't know what to make of that.

Any ideas what to do next? I think I'm going to order the solenoid. It's $15 on amazon and looks like a 5 min change. But this is really frustrating.

lonestarjeff

Threads
I have the same problem with an RZ 5424 with a Kawa motor.

The problem has not recurred for me since that one time. However, I have had something else(possibly related?)the last time I used it. Every time I would engage the blades the engine would stumble, there'd be a puff of fuel smoke, & a second or two clattering(pre-ignition). This went on until I partially finished mowing & parked it for lunch. Went out later & it would not start without full choke or keep running except with half choke.....Fuel smoke fogging out the exhaust.

All I could come up with for a solution is possibly a bad float or float valve, or the general effects of ethanol fuel. So, I ordered some carb parts & cleaned the carb. Got it back together today.

Now it is up & running, but it's still not right. Have to start it with choke & keep it running with half choke until the engine heats up. After that it runs about 95%, but still stumbles & clatters every time I engage the blades.

The only other thing I can think of is the little solenoid on the fuel bowl. This is the 1st one I've seen on a small engine. Does it work with the float to control flow?

Jeff