Blades What sort of air compressor should I buy for changing lawnmowing blades?

basketballmate

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What sort of air compressor should I buy for changing lawnmowing blades?
what should I consider when buying an air compressor for jobs like changing mower blades?Just ocasionally use but it needs to be powerful enough to remove mower blades disk bolt.

Is there minimum engine HP or tank capacity would require for this kind of job?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
About five years ago I purchased a Porter Cable compressor which works with all my tools. 1-1/2hp, 150psi, 20gal tank. More important than the size of the compressor, is the size of the tolls you are using. Many of the cheaper air tools will not do the job, no matter how big a compressor you have. This might help or confuse you.

chobbs1957

Threads
I use a Porter Cable horizontal portable unit that is just right. I am away right now and can't remember for sure, think it's 5.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, may be 5.4.... Anyhow, it provides adequate - not extra- torque for a ratchet wench and my impact wrench as well. I pocked it up at a pawn shop for about $200 in 2002, love it!

Sent from my iPad using LMF

mowerman05

Threads
I have a porter cable pancake style compressor that I used for a long time to change blades then switched to a electric impact wrench, one tool, one cord ,one socket. Works great.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been using a old Sears compressor for close to 50 years now. Back in the earlier years I even ran a shop with it so it has many hours of use including doing body work when it would run all day. It still works as good as the day I bought it. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it only puts out 110 PSI which isn't enough pressure to run some of the bigger air tools to full power. If I was to buy another air compressor I would make sure it puts out 150 PSI. Now I did buy a cheap air compressor for my camp from HF and I have to say it dose everything it needs to do including run air tools. I think I paid less then 100 dollars for it. The only thing I don't like about the HF compressor is it is very noisy and it has a small tank.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cordless tools have greatly improved in recent years, a quality cordless impact tool may just do the job for you.
I have a 2 HP 20 gallon 135 PSI air compressor and need to use a 3/8" air hose to operate my supposedly 400 FTLB rated air impact tool and start with the air compressor at 135 PSI for max effort with the impact tool.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cordless tools have greatly improved in recent years, a quality cordless impact tool may just do the job for you.
I have a 2 HP 20 gallon 135 PSI air compressor and need to use a 3/8" air hose to operate my supposedly 400 FTLB rated air impact tool and start with the air compressor at 135 PSI for max effort with the impact tool.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

I have worked with impact tools for many years now and have found with 150 psi and a good quality air impact wrench you just can't beat the brut power they put out. The PO wants enough power to remove mower blades so I would question a electric impact. I have used electric impacts but they just don't have any power unless the newer ones are different???

mowerman05

Threads
The electric impact I use is a very old one from a estate sale, don't even know the name of it. Works to remove tires from my trailer as well as mower blades. Seems to work much better than my air impact, maybe the air is not a very strong impact wrench that I use. Seen a neighbor use a dewalt cordless to remove tires from a 3/4 ton truck, could not believe it worked as well as it did.:drink::drink

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The electric impact I use is a very old one from a estate sale, don't even know the name of it. Works to remove tires from my trailer as well as mower blades. Seems to work much better than my air impact, maybe the air is not a very strong impact wrench that I use. Seen a neighbor use a dewalt cordless to remove tires from a 3/4 ton truck, could not believe it worked as well as it did.:drink::drink

Like there are compressors and COMPRESSORS , there are air tool and AIR TOOLS there are also electric tools and ELECTRIC tools.
Bert ran his shop on Milwakie? cordless tools with 5 batteries as on some of the commercial high hour machines the blade bolts were very tight and might require a single battery for each spindle.
I run my shop on air because I already had air tools and $ 300 bought a lot more air ratchet than cordless ratchet.
My landlord bought a 540 lb Remmington impact gun & I was so impressed with it I bought a slightly smaller one 460 lb.
Both run at 90 lb air pressure, but to get that at the end of 30 yards of flexiable line you need to put in 120.
My compressor is a twin cylinder 2Hp 10 gallon tank and occasionally have to wait for the compressor to catch up. Mine was $ 2000 new
The landlord has a 2 gallon single cylinder 1/2 Hp compressor & he always runs out of air his was $ 300 new.

Both get the job done his just takes a bit longer
Prior to that we both had what you would call Harbour Freight air tools ( $ 100 for chisel , wrench, impact , inflator & some sockets in a pretty moulded case ) and neither of the compressors could pull off really hard rusted bolts with out a lot of heat & penetrating oil, so I would advocate for spending more on top shelf tools than top shelf compressor particularly as it is for occasional use.
All air tools have a minimum air requirements included in the instructions, so get your gun first then find a compressor to match it.

I also have a petrol powered air compressor with a 2 Hp Briggs sitting on a 2 gallon tank running a tiny 10 ft/min compressor.
Hooked up to the good gun, it pulls the old rusted 1 1/2 " bolts off the farm tractors no troubles, it just requires 3 minutes to refill the tank between uses. The old gun would not touch them.

Cordless tools are a lot easier to use but OTOU you still need a compressor to blow up tyres, mend tyres & blow down the crud off the mower so I would go for air.
I have a dozen or so air "dusters" some with tiny ( high pressure ) outlets others with big ( low pressure high volume ) outlets, a couple of really long ones 2' , 3' and 4.5' which ar really handy for cleaning out under decks & around frames without getting yurself covered with crud.

Rail5042

Threads
I picked up a Dewalt 15 gallon 1.6 HP compressor. It is a stand up and it pressures up to 200 psi. In layman terms at 200 psi the 15 storage is comparable to 25 gallons of storage. I have yet to run out of air when running tools. Its impressive. Would recommend to anyone for home use compressor. I believe home depot sells for 360. I got mine of the Mac Truck. Sales rep wanted to get rid of. Think I paid 300. Would buy again if I needed to.