Attachments Alternatives for mower deck for 2165?

packardv8

Threads
I bought a 2165 without any attachments. IIRC, this tractor was sold under two different Cub Cadet model number sequences and a close cousin under several different brand names. Anyone ever found other mower decks which are the same?

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD ended up owning Cub Cadet by the time the 2100 series came out.
And while Cubs continued to be made at a seperate factory MTD did pinch the mounting system which eventually became standard fitment across the entire MTD range
On the Cubs the deck mounts are on a bolt on plate while on the rest of the MD range they are welded to the deck so 2 minutes with an angle grinder and 3 miutes with a drill and any electric PTO MTD deck can be made to fit.
You can still buy the deck lift mounting plate for the fabricated decks.
he cheaest way out would be to look for a good deck on a mower with a blown motor they usually go cheap.
If some one goes to the effort of pulling off the deck it suddenly quadruples in price.

You can still buy the complete Cub Cadet decks, but you will need to be sitting down when you see the price.
My landlord runs a 2145, a 2155 & a 2165 with the 48" fabricated deck

packardv8

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for a Cub mower deck or dead complete machine for two years now. The MTD is probably no easier to find, just wanted to know a deal if I saw it.

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for a Cub mower deck or dead complete machine for two years now. The MTD is probably no easier to find, just wanted to know a deal if I saw it.

jack vines

MTD make a lot of different branded mowers and nearly all of them use the Cub mounting system they just have the hangers at differnt spacings.
So if you buy a 603-0181 or 603-0182 or 603-0183 you can bolt it onto any deck that has an electric PTO and B size pulleys.
I am in the middle of converting a GT180 White to Cub deck mounting.
You should also be able to mount any fabricated deck to your Cub once you have the mounting plate.

The only company I know of who parts out old mowers in the USA is Randys who has gone a long way from breaking old chainsaws.
Surely there are other mower breakers in the USA some one here must know of some.

packardv8

Threads
Just missed on a John Deere 42" deck. In the photo, it had only a single belt drive. The Cub Cadet system, with one belt driving the deck and another belt transferring the drive to the two or three blades seems to offer tensioning advantages - true/false?

jack vines

mowerman05

Threads
Have you checked eBay, lots of mower parts there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just missed on a John Deere 42" deck. In the photo, it had only a single belt drive. The Cub Cadet system, with one belt driving the deck and another belt transferring the drive to the two or three blades seems to offer tensioning advantages - true/false?

jack vines

It is not all that much different.
A lot of ZTR run a single belt from the engine at the back directly to the blade spindles at the front.
It does however allow for different belt tensions between the deck & PTO belts
Having seen a lot of failed Cub belts I noticed that the cord lay is different between the PTO belt & the deck belt so I made the bold assumption that the two belts is for convenience of deck removal & optimazation of belt life.
Remember the 2000 series were commercial mowers not domestic, designed to run as many hours in aweek as most others do in a year

packardv8

Threads
Thought I'd found a buy on a 42" three-blade deck. It is from a Yard Machine mower but has the same mounting system as used by Cub Cadet 2000-series.

However, closer examination, it's for a vertical shaft engine and takes the belt drive across to the left-hand blade spindle instead of the rear-center idler on mine.

It's theoretically possible to re-engineer the blade drive, but only if the deck were a freebie.

jack vines

efred

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knows what 48" deck, other than the 301 deck, will fit the 2165? A complete 301 deck is no longer available, and even the main deck stamping is gone from the available parts list.