1985 Snapper 21 repower with Honda GX 160

Goldnboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
s10.jpgs2.jpgs8.jpgSnapper 3.jpgSnapper 1.jpg

This snapper had a tired 5HP Briggs Engine that I removed and replaced with a Honda GX160. I took a piece of card board and traced the engine mount holes on the deck and transferred these to a 1/4 sheet of steel. This raised the engine up enough to provide clearance for the friction wheel and gas tank on the engine. My biggest expense was the sand blast and powder coating of the deck and handles. I tried this out with the thatcherizer and original white bagger and it was the easiest bagging I have done in a long time!

redmondjp

Threads
WOW! You did a fantastic job on that! It seriously looks better-than-new. Personally I would have a hard time even pushing that onto my muddy yard it's so nice - that would go into my lawnmower showroom and never get used.

Thanks for sharing the pictures - Question on your crankshaft pulley - did you use the Snapper one that came on the original engine, or a Honda one?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is one good looking Snapper!!! Very nice job!
One thing that really questions me during motor swaps is the crankshaft end. Which on do you use?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good job.

I love seeing people fix and use the best mowers ever made.

Snapperfreak

Threads
That looks fantastic!! The powder coat is so much better than paint, that thing truly looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. And a great choice in engine too, I've actually been thinking of dropping the same engine on my old commercial deck that is missing an engine. Awesome engine/deck combo. That will give u years and years of service. Outstanding.

d_sharier

Threads
That is one hell of a mower. Right engine for the job!!! Strong work on the restoration too. I love the look of the older front fenders, the ones that have SNAPPER stamped into them. Anytime a company can use the same design (drive system) for more than a couple of decades, you know it's good!!! I had a old 70's ish snapper with a little l-head Briggs on it. It had the HI-VAC deck and the blade with the attached hi-lift wings. I used to bet my buddies that my mower would pick a quarter up off of my drive and they would just laugh. Kinda makes me want to get another one. Would have to be 2-stoke though, I'm partial to LB's. Maybe one with an old Wisconsin. Anyway, FINE JOB!!!

Goldnboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
WOW! You did a fantastic job on that! It seriously looks better-than-new. Personally I would have a hard time even pushing that onto my muddy yard it's so nice - that would go into my lawnmower showroom and never get used.

Thanks for sharing the pictures - Question on your crankshaft pulley - did you use the Snapper one that came on the original engine, or a Honda one?

The replacement Honda engine had a stepped down 1" to 7/8" shaft like the original 5HP Briggs but the original pulleys were seized to the shaft until I showed them my Oxy/Act Torch! However, original replacements were easy to obtain.

I have been thinking about taking the original bag to a car wash and see if it will clean up better right now it is pretty brown but has not holes.
Snapper 7.jpg

Last edited:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I would do with that bag is take a brush and car wash soap. It worked for me. I had a black bag with white logo and the logo became nice and white again.

Snapperfreak

Threads
That helped mine too. After I washed it and scrubbed it I just hung it up on a clothesline outside to dry. I did use the compressor to blow it off some but it seemed to work well. I can't get over how good your mower turned out. I have to say that's the best refurb of an old snapper I've ever seen.