New house - looking to upgrade to a Riding Lawn Mower

gtduck

Threads
  • / New house - looking to upgrade to a Riding Lawn Mower
I'm moving to a new house over the summer and will have 1 acre of grass to cut. It's fairly flat and flower beds/trees are still TBD, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've been looking at mowers, but can't decide what I should do. Budget is ~$1800ish. Here's some I've looked at:

- Club Cadet XT1 LX46
- Husqvarna YTH22V42 or YTH22V46
- Craftsman T3000 Model 20390

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thorough research on every one your interested in, read reviews, test drive operating all controls, let us know which one you go with, thanks,

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm moving to a new house over the summer and will have 1 acre of grass to cut. It's fairly flat and flower beds/trees are still TBD, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've been looking at mowers, but can't decide what I should do. Budget is ~$1800ish. Here's some I've looked at:

- Club Cadet XT1 LX46
- Husqvarna YTH22V42 or YTH22V46
- Craftsman T3000 Model 20390

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can buy what you want but if I had to make a decision on one of the three I'd go with the Cub Cadet. Personally I'd go with the XTI-LT 46 not the LX. The LT gets you the Fabricated deck and the Professional grade 7000 series Kohler 23 hp.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And avoid the Craftsman like the plague.
They are identical to the Husky but made out of thinner metal with downgraded every thing to bring the price down
Total junk to suck the big box cheapskates in.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With today's lawn tractor market, you must remember one thing, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! This is what I have told customers for the last 2 years. I can't recommend any tractor under $2000 any more. Just feel that the quality of these units is so bad, I'm not going to put one above the other. You are going to have to be very diligent in your research, and please do not look at the price until you are down to 2-3 units. You will get many answers on this forum, because everyone has their favorite, but you are going to see what matches your situation the best. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, GOOD LUCK.

gfp55

Threads
I.M.O. Rivets is giving you the best advice. If you don't plan on replacing your tractor in a few years you should spend more $1,800. Good Luck and keep us updated.

ssj_chris

Forum Newbie
Threads
With today's lawn tractor market, you must remember one thing, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! This is what I have told customers for the last 2 years. I can't recommend any tractor under $2000 any more. Just feel that the quality of these units is so bad, I'm not going to put one above the other. You are going to have to be very diligent in your research, and please do not look at the price until you are down to 2-3 units. You will get many answers on this forum, because everyone has their favorite, but you are going to see what matches your situation the best. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, GOOD LUCK.

What mower would you recommend for those with a smaller budget ($2000-$3400)?? I was looking at the Husqvarna M-ZT 52 ($4800-$5500)but my wife chocked when she looked at the price.

1striper1

Threads
If you are looking for a LAWN TRACTOR in that price range, I would pass over the three options you mention and look for a decent used unit.

Focus on finding one where on the hydro unit you can change the fluid and replace the filter. You MIGHT not be able to replace the filter and that's OK. Just make sure the hydro fluid is changeable!

If you buy a tractor with sealed hydro's in your price range, be happy if the mower lasts you 5 years. Then you throw it away because it's too expensive to fix.

Toro, Deere, Simplicity and Snapper would be brands I'd look for. Lot's of good used Deere's for sale in my region.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing you plan on spending 2000 dollars on a new mower it doesn't matter very much what you buy. They all run about the same quality. Just buy what feels the best to you or what color you like. With good maintenance and common sense it should last you for many years. Then when you are ready to replace it years down the road you might think about up grading to something better like a Ferris. I know some people that own Sears mowers that love them and have run them for years, they wouldn't own anything but. Just thinking about the earlier post that a Sears is no good.