New house - looking to upgrade to a Riding Lawn Mower

highlift60

Threads
  • / New house - looking to upgrade to a Riding Lawn Mower
Seeing you plan on spending 2000 dollars on a new mower it doesn't matter very much what you buy. They all run about the same quality. Just buy what feels the best to you or what color you like. With good maintenance and common sense it should last you for many years. Then when you are ready to replace it years down the road you might think about up grading to something better like a Ferris. I know some people that own Sears mowers that love them and have run them for years, they wouldn't own anything but. Just thinking about the earlier post that a Sears is no good.

Wow, your advice is just about as helpful as a tick on your scrotum. Sears hasn't made anything good for decades, and their mowers and snowblowers are consistently ranked the lowest by almost all independent reports. It matters VERY MUCH what you buy regardless if it's a 2k or 5k mower. Quality varies greatly by brand.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wow, your advice is just about as helpful as a tick on your scrotum. Sears hasn't made anything good for decades, and their mowers and snowblowers are consistently ranked the lowest by almost all independent reports. It matters VERY MUCH what you buy regardless if it's a 2k or 5k mower. Quality varies greatly by brand.

Well it might not be much use but it is the plain simple & honest truth.
In the under $ 2000 you are looking at the rock bottom cheapst mower any factory can possibly make designed soley for the purpose of making you go "gees that is cheap" and walk into the shop so the salesman can sell you some thing a lot more expensive.
If this helps you put into perspective quality wise.
The first mower I worked on was my fathers first petrol powered push mower.
The purchase price was equivalent to 6 months wages and he paid it off over 3 years. Because the mower company was making a good profit on the mower they made it properly with good quality materials.
That was in 1959 & my sister has the mower, it is still in good working order but because it does not have a catcher she only uses it to mow the grass verge.
I have 9 mowers I lend out to customers when I get a big backlog of repairs, they are all from the 60's & 70's all work perfectly all fitted with 8 to 12 Hp B&S side valve engines.
When new they cost 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a small car so again they were made well with quality materials & I can get almost every part.
I can't get parts for a 5 year old McCulloch

So now you are looking at a $2000 mower.
The local shop will be making something between 35% & 29% profit so we will call it 25 % just to keep things simple.
So the retailer paid $ 1500 for your mower, delivered
Delivery is going to cost somewhere between $ 50 & $ 300 depending how far it has been shipped, We will call it $ 200 to keep it simple
So the mower Ex distributors warehouse is $ 1300. Now the name owner also gets a cut ( assuming the mower is made for the distributor ) so there goes another $ 200.
That leaves the factory that actually made the mower with a door price of $ 1100.
If a factory is not running at a minimum of 20% gross profit they won't be here next season so your $ 2000 mower can cost no more than $ 900 to make.

$ 900 is about the retail price of the engine alone.

And those are rough figures for your local corner shop.
Wally mart, seers etc demand a minimum 100% mark up so the factory will get even less for sales through big box stores.

$ 2000 might seem like a lot to you but down stream it is peanuts and a loss making product.
For the money you are willing to spend the best quality mower you can buy will be a Wee Foul Yu with some USA decals applied over the top of the Chinnese ones.
This mower will be highly subsidised by the Chineese government and if fitted with a Chineese Kohler will give you many years of good service that your unemployed childern & grandchildren will appreciate.

The Magic Pudding I am afraid is a childrens story, you don't get anything for nothingand in your price bracet you will do a lot better looking at a good self propelled or second hand mower.

Sorry if this seem offensive , it is not meant to be but I am the bloke who crawls under these mowers and tries to fix them & I do see a big difference between $2000 mowers & $4000 mowers, from the ill fitting bonnets right down to the thiner weaker blades. They look the same because they are made with the same dies as the dearer models , after the dies are no longer capable of making top quality pressings and made with thinner metal without any of the strengthening brace pieces or means of making adjustments found on the "full price" variants.
And it really breaks my heart to tell some one who put every dollar they can't really afford into a bottom end mower that their 2 year old mower will cost over $ 1000 to fix and be in the shop for well over a month or in the case of some of the McCullochs sold through a local big box shop actually can not be repaired and is worth nothing more than the value of the used motor. and that is most often with me charging less than 1/2 the trade rate for lablour and using pattern parts

catdiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have to respectfully disagree that all 2 thousand dollar mowers are the same. Just got done helping my brother-in-law pick out a new riding mower and we looked at Husky, Craftsman (all junk), Ariens, and Snapper. There were big differences in components, build quality, and engine selection all at the same price bracket. I am also someone who fixes these machines for people part time, and I have probably a thousand hours turning a wrench on garden tractors alone. Yes there are similarities, but no way would I ever say they are all the same based on my hands-on experience.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have to respectfully disagree that all 2 thousand dollar mowers are the same. Just got done helping my brother-in-law pick out a new riding mower and we looked at Husky, Craftsman (all junk), Ariens, and Snapper. There were big differences in components, build quality, and engine selection all at the same price bracket. I am also someone who fixes these machines for people part time, and I have probably a thousand hours turning a wrench on garden tractors alone. Yes there are similarities, but no way would I ever say they are all the same based on my hands-on experience.

We don't get Snappers down here any more. We used to get them rebranded locally but they have been replaced by rebranded Chineese mowers.
At the bottom end we get McCullochs & Craftsmen ( Both AYP both garbage ) & MTD's ( rebranded and also garbage ) all the rest are from China.
We used to get trash Murrys as well but they have been replaced by Chineese mowers.
Note i am not saying all of these brands are trash, just the bottom end ones flogged off at the big box & major retail chain stores. It is just not economic to sell so cheaply unless there are massive factories subsadities involved.
Ariens are pushing the Gravely brand very hard with big subsidies but to their credit have not put any thing into the bottom of the market save the stand on and that is closer to $ 4000 than $ 2000 down here.
The only mower in the $ 2000 range here I can honestly recommend is the Chineese Sannli which smells very much like a Murray copy with thick steel pressings and Chineese Kohlers out of Kohlers China factory.

As a person who repairs mowers have a good look & do some costings.
Four new tyres a new transmission & engine would add up to more than $ 2000 at wholesale prices.

gtduck

Threads
Ok, so if I were to instead spend $2k-$3200, what would people recommend?

Thanks.

gfp55

Threads
Ok, so if I were to instead spend $2k-$3200, what would people recommend?

Thanks.

Do you want new or will used work for you?

gfp55

Threads
I think I'd prefer a new one

I am not trying to be disrespectful to you, but you may want to read some of the posts on this and other forums and see what new gets you. Let me put it this way, you will be seeing the dealer or your mechanic very often. Other then that I don't have any other truthful advice that I can give you if you want new. I wish you luck.

gtduck

Threads
I am not trying to be disrespectful to you, but you may want to read some of the posts on this and other forums and see what new gets you. Let me put it this way, you will be seeing the dealer or your mechanic very often. Other then that I don't have any other truthful advice that I can give you if you want new. I wish you luck.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion.

1striper1

Threads
I'm moving to a new house over the summer and will have 1 acre of grass to cut. It's fairly flat and flower beds/trees are still TBD, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've been looking at mowers, but can't decide what I should do. Budget is ~$1800ish. Here's some I've looked at:

- Club Cadet XT1 LX46
- Husqvarna YTH22V42 or YTH22V46
- Craftsman T3000 Model 20390

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you pull the trigger on something?