Locking a trailer

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the input guys!

I think I will be good with my coupler lock and chain around the wheel.
I will make sure to not put a chain around the porch.

CZLawnCare

Threads
Go to a trailer place and buy the trimax coupler lock and if youre willing to spend the money, pick up the trimax wheel lock, the big one is yellow and looks like a denver boot, they retail between $175-$225 around us depending where you go. I use that set for my 16' gator

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Buy a good insurance policy and a cheap pad lock on the ball lock. Just how bad is your neighbor hood. I have lived here for over 50 years and never had a trailer stolen yet and have never locked it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
bertsmobile you'd better stick with your day job because you'd make a lousy thief :laughing: your unreal. You've been watching to many movies.

The formal qualifications are in metallurgy.
Did a stint in forensic metallurgy under one of my lecturers who had contracts with the police.
Rivitingly interesting work, but not enough of it as nothing really happens down here.
OTOH really opened the eyes as to how policing really works and how the justice system dosn't.
Learned very quickly that just about any "lock" can be beaten in a very short time and most of them serve little purpose other than to indicate to the insurance company that the item was removed without your co-operation.

Top shelf locks & security chains are made from the same grade of steel used by the Canadians for their rail lines.
Don't know what the snow bound regions of the USA use but probably a similar alloy.

There is an assumption that thieves are stupid which is far far from the truth.
While the bulk of property crime is carried out by drug addicts who can be irrational at times a lot of them are nothing like stupid, just tragically addicted.

When liquid freeze first came out you could buy some types over the counter that can get better than - 50 Deg C.
This stuff was used big time by professional thieves so the instant some clot injured themselves it became scheduled so you have to produce a purchase order to get it now days and it was replace by a nitrogen / CO2 /Freon mix for Joe public to use
That gets down to - 30 C.
That in turn has been replaced by a freon free mix that gets down to - 15 C
Or the cheapie strait CO2 which is good for - 10 C which is good enough for it's original purpose of checking the integrity of electrical components, joints & boards.

Have not been to the movies since Star Wars I with the single exception of Lord of the Rings where I walked out after the first 15 minutes.
Don't watch TV and might have looked a dozen video movies over the past 20 years tops.
I have a real life to live so I don't need to be made feel an insignificant failure by watching some ones elses fantasy life.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go to a trailer place and buy the trimax coupler lock and if youre willing to spend the money, pick up the trimax wheel lock, the big one is yellow and looks like a denver boot, they retail between $175-$225 around us depending where you go. I use that set for my 16' gator

Thanks, good to know!
Do you have a Gator trailer?

Buy a good insurance policy and a cheap pad lock on the ball lock. Just how bad is your neighbor hood. I have lived here for over 50 years and never had a trailer stolen yet and have never locked it.

Neighborhood is fine. It is on the coutry side. I just want to be on the safe side.
I will phone my insurance to change my policy.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am gonna buy a new trailer soon. I will be leaving it in an entrance for a while before my season starts. I just wanted to know what is the best way to lock it? As of now, I bought a Master coupler lock. Is this enough or should I do any additional locking?

If your trying to lock up your trailer don't use that master coupler lock. Try Overtons and get what you need from them, it may cost you a little more but it's worth the extra to keep your trailer.

Trailer Locks & Security | Overton's

Trimax TCL65 Trailer Wheel Chock Lock - Overton's

Trimax Universal Unattended Coupler Lock - Overton's

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cable the wheels to the frame keeps them from stealing the wheels.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I cable the wheels to the frame keeps them from stealing the wheels.

I'd rather lose the wheel then the trailer and locking both wheels takes to much effort

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd rather lose the wheel then the trailer and locking both wheels takes to much effort

Just use locking lug nuts. You can buy them in packages of two or four and they come with there own socket.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just use locking lug nuts. You can buy them in packages of two or four and they come with there own socket.

Lol I did that with my old car then realized that's not going to stop anyone they sell a set of those at Napa with all the sockets in them plus I lost mine right when I needed to change a tire ended up calling aaa and they had a full set to lol