Greetings from Michigan!

theredlineboss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I joined this forum a couple weeks ago when doing some maintenance on my snow blower. I wasn't planning on sticking around, but then I stumbled on hanyoukimura's mower repair thread. Wow- talk about bringing back memories. I used to repair and sell mowers when I was a teenager, so I could really relate.

So it has inspired me to work on a few machines I have around here:

- 80's Toro S-200: Replaced the directional vanes, back cover & choke assembly, belt, tensioner, and a few other odds n' ends
- 90's Craftsman RWD mower: Deck was rotting out so I replaced it with one from mower where pretty much everything was ruined, except the deck
- 77 Gilson / Montgomery ward snowblower: This is the vertical shaft model and I decided to swap out the engine with a Quantum. Works! Too bad the machine's design isn't better, lol.
- 89 Meijer mower: I've actually used this one almost since it was new. Parents bought it in '90 and I rebuilt it around 2000. It's in need of some loving now, so I'm basically restoring the thing.

I have a few other things I'm going to work on (namely a planet Jr two wheel tractor), but I'll probably do it in the spring.

There is one thing I have been running into though- I am noticing that it's difficult to determine what decal sets are for each Briggs & Stratton engine. Everything seems to show up as "KIT-LABEL" and most sites don't have pictures or a description of what they are for. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the decal sets I need?

-Robert

gfp55

Threads
Hello, I joined this forum a couple weeks ago when doing some maintenance on my snow blower. I wasn't planning on sticking around, but then I stumbled on hanyoukimura's mower repair thread. Wow- talk about bringing back memories. I used to repair and sell mowers when I was a teenager, so I could really relate.

So it has inspired me to work on a few machines I have around here:

- 80's Toro S-200: Replaced the directional vanes, back cover & choke assembly, belt, tensioner, and a few other odds n' ends
- 90's Craftsman RWD mower: Deck was rotting out so I replaced it with one from mower where pretty much everything was ruined, except the deck
- 77 Gilson / Montgomery ward snowblower: This is the vertical shaft model and I decided to swap out the engine with a Quantum. Works! Too bad the machine's design isn't better, lol.
- 89 Meijer mower: I've actually used this one almost since it was new. Parents bought it in '90 and I rebuilt it around 2000. It's in need of some loving now, so I'm basically restoring the thing.

I have a few other things I'm going to work on (namely a planet Jr two wheel tractor), but I'll probably do it in the spring.

There is one thing I have been running into though- I am noticing that it's difficult to determine what decal sets are for each Briggs & Stratton engine. Everything seems to show up as "KIT-LABEL" and most sites don't have pictures or a description of what they are for. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the decal sets I need?

-Robert
Good to read your post Robert, Welcome. Your 89 Meijer mower, Is that Meijer Thrifty Acres store? Like a Walmart store right? gfp55

bt3

Threads
Good to read your post Robert, Welcome. Your 89 Meijer mower, Is that Meijer Thrifty Acres store? Like a Walmart store right? gfp55

Meijer is indeed like a Walmart, except, I like it much better. Most of us with Meijers in their town do. I didn't know Meijer until I moved to the Midwest, and now, It is hard when I am not in a state that has a Meijers. One of my homes is in the south and the last Meijers is in Lexington, KY heading down I-75. They are fantastic stores. "If they don't have it, you don't need it." ;) I think that was their slogan years ago.

I'd be curious to know who built that Meijer mower. MTD is my guess. I have owned a Monkey Ward (back when they were in business), but never a Meijer.

Sorry, OP, I do not know how to find the right decal set. I am sure someone here can help you with that. Welcome to LMF.

theredlineboss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the welcome! Meijer seems to have used Roper/Rally for their mowers in the early 90's. Mine has a Roper serial number tag. I know this deck was used for Meijer mowers for at least a few years, as I briefly had a '95 Meijer with the same deck.

I'll snap a pic of it - it's slightly dismantled, since I was trying to look for part numbers on some of the Quantum's plastic parts.

-Robert

theredlineboss

Forum Newbie
Threads
All right, here's the Meijer:

When I rebuilt it before, I had replaced most everything - it originally had chrome handlebars, a hard plastic bag and a 3.5HP Briggs Max engine with a yellow gas tank/shroud. The 5HP quantum performs a lot better, but I'm having trouble finding a new air filter cover and recoil cover.

-Robert

HONDAMAN24

Forum Newbie
Threads
@theredlineboss :

I was curious if you knew the center hole size and shape of the 1989 meijer push mower u were restoring?? I bought one today, and to my suprise..... it didnt have a blade! (Like really?? Unbelieveable it was not mentioned..)

Anyways I'm trying to find a suitable blade online and everytime I search for meijer lawn mower the results are not of what I intend to search for.

Please let me know thanks

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi Robert. Thanks for joining!
Glad we could be an inspiration :cool: