Deck Spindle Question

NCMau

Threads
I am working on a 30 in, one blade deck to be mounted in front of the loader bucket. The engine is a 12HP vertical rotating CW coupled with V belt. The blade spindle is LH tread. My assumption is if this deck would hit something hard, the blade nut would loosen. I am looking for a suggestion to deal with this situation. Would a double nut do it? Maybe you guys have a better idea. I do not want to be under a constant worry that the blade would come loose.

Grassbandit

Threads
I am working on a 30 in, one blade deck to be mounted in front of the loader bucket. The engine is a 12HP vertical rotating CW coupled with V belt. The blade spindle is LH tread. My assumption is if this deck would hit something hard, the blade nut would loosen. I am looking for a suggestion to deal with this situation. Would a double nut do it? Maybe you guys have a better idea. I do not want to be under a constant worry that the blade would come loose.

I dont think it would come loose from getting hit, if you want to have a little peace of mind put a lockwasher in place.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Red Loctite works good. Yes you can double nut it or drill and wire nut it or use a castle nut and cotter key or buy a lock, just a few ideas.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why use a LH thread ? Are RH difficult to obtain ? A LH lock washer may be more difficult to find than a shaft with RH threads.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Red Loctite works good. Yes you can double nut it or drill and wire nut it or use a castle nut and cotter key or buy a lock, just a few ideas.

I would personally use blue Loctite and double nut it. Reason is, the red stuff can be difficult to remove, often requiring heat from a torch. The blue stuff is used on bolts that hold mower blades on and it keeps things tight but can be removed with a breaker bar even if liberally applied. The double nut would be for reassurance. I'd shy away from the cotter pin and castle nut because it could possibly shear if it was really bad. Something harder to find in case you can't double nut it would be to find a pinch nut, they're basically one time use and combined with loctite, it shouldn't come off without tools.