New Member from Northern Kentucky.

Strike1905

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been visiting this site gleaning information in preparation for our future home.

We have a 40 acre spread in northern Kentucky.
The land is being, has been, used as rough pasture.
We are currently building our home, (expect to move in July), with no sod being laid down, but to be seeded, (tall fescue from what I understand would be the best option for the climate and soil conditions).

This is our final homestead and we are looking to make it look like our own Eden.

We plan to have around 5 acres or less of manicured lawn, and I would like it to be outstanding, Hank Hill outstanding.

The initial gameplan is to understand the process of soil prep, seeding, and cultivating along with what equipment I need and what equipment I would like to assist me in this goal.
Since the soil should be in relatively smooth shape, no serious hills, (we are acquiring a C.U.T. 50 hp to assist in that), we are thinking a nice semi-pro ZT should be the mower that we need, but will continue to read and reassess.

But I understand that this process will take time, effort, and knowledge.

The last one is why I am, (happily), now a member of this community.
I have previous experience with the Tractor-by-Net community, (very happy), and have a good understanding of what I need to do to help myself to the wealth of knowledge here.

Thank you.

possum

Threads
I would locate a heavy duty slit seeder to be powered by that compact tractor and rent it or hire it done. I would spray the whole lawn area with glyphosate and after the ground cover has all turned brown then seed right into it. That dead stuff will help hold your soil and seed while your grass gets up and established. Seed in spring or fall according to your local ag extension office. Once the grass is up and established you can start a weed control program and overseed as needed to thicken the grass. The ag extension office should have a fertilizer program to recommend. You may need soil samples.