New RYOBI 2-*Cycle Full Crank String Trimmers Provide Longer Life and Easy Starting

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
  • / New RYOBI 2-*Cycle Full Crank String Trimmers Provide Longer Life and Easy Starting
(ANDERSON, SC)—For the first time ever, Techtronic Industries Power Equipment introduces a full crank engine to their RYOBI line of gas string trimmers. Consumers can expect a [...]

Read this article on LawnWorld

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / New RYOBI 2-*Cycle Full Crank String Trimmers Provide Longer Life and Easy Starting
I really liked my 790R 2 stroker. It failed after 10 years and rebuild parts were prohibitively expensive. At the time it died I stumbled accross a statement in an amazon forum which talked about cheap "half crank" engines, which , it seems the Ryobis had. I tried to strip down the engine , but stopped after the repair $ shock. I saw the bearing at the base of the crank shaft extension topside, but did not look for support, if any on the bottom side.

Ryobi uses marketing lingo to gloss over what a full crank is when they talk about "disruptive innovation", lol. What is being disrupted, failure of under designed half crank engines? Any way a diagram or drawing of the "was" vs "is" would be nice if Ryobi really thinks they are impressing the homeowner or diyer.

I hope the 2 stroker enthusiasts and pros in the forum will give us a brief education about half vs full crank. If it is a second crank journal/bearing it would seem width would be affected. :thumbsup:

possum

Threads
Engines are supposed to be better with a full crank. Support on both ends makes it more sturdy. But the biggest thing the average old guy want in those full cranks is the ease of repairing the starter recoil as its on the back. The younger fellows fall for the Ryobi name and the disruptive innovation lingo. Used to be high tech or new tech. The inbetween ones fall for the twice as long lasting engine. Its just a way to get folks to notice. The same engines were on the Toro branded string trimmers last year and are on some Homelites as well. All of those are supplied by Techtronic. The Ryobis do look MTD ish but MTD sold the name some years back. I would imagine the engines are just a copy of some older Japanese engine now made cheaper in China. After all the trouble the Ryobi branded trimmers have had the last several years with their 4cycle engines they need something new looking and sounding. That should be a decent engine but I would bet the carbs will be troublesome with ethanol fuels as well as old fuels.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Possum, thanks. When the 790R failed I saw flywheel contact on the coil magnets, although light. So I assumed somehow that affected the spark which had ceased. I theorized that the crank had only 1/2 support so it wobbled, but when I looked at it the other day and tried to detect play at the crank shaft I could not.

Hope we can get some more response on this.