Karcher gas pressure washer question

CajunMan89

Threads
I recently acquired my first gas pressure washer.

It is a Karcher Model 4000 G.

My question is about the detergent hose. Is it supposed to leak water while it is running? I thought it's purpose was just to suck in bleach or detergent for cleaning? I asked the previous owner, and he told me all he knew was that to use it, it had to be set on idle, not full power. It must be true because it had no problem spraying out the bleach I was using.

He told me he couldn't remember if the detergent hose was supposed to drain water or not. He is an elderly gentleman, so I expect that at his age.

I was able to find the operating manual, and it says in the troubleshooting section "If water leaks from the pump, the thermo protection has been activated." Is that what is going on here? If so, how do I fix the issue?

I am having trouble locating the correct Briggs & Stratton manual. It's a 5 HP Quantum XTS Clean Power 50. Does anyone have a copy of the correct manual?

Any help with these matters is greatly appreciated!

CajunMan89

Threads
Post all numbers from engine model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, thanks.

5 HP Briggs & Stratton
Quantum XTS
Clean Power 50

Model # 128812
Type: 3132E1
Code: 98022359

That's all the info. on the engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The soap injections(nipple with the barbed fittings) has a ball and a spring inside to prevent leaking when running. There should be a special low pressure nozzle for use with soap and bleach. If you let the pump run without using any water, the water will heat up in the pump, and when it reaches a certain temp is will open the thermal relief valve. This is suppose to happen to protect the pump from overheating. Most of those open when the water temp reaches close to 200 degrees.

SidecarFlip

Threads
As a rule, I never use the low pressure detergent injection. The pump is meant really to run on water not on soap solution so I use a small pump sprayer to apply soap. Mine seem to last and last and I never allow them to freeze either. Current one is an AR unit with a HF Pred motor. Direct couple. I usually go through 2 engines for one pump and I use mine hard and frequently washing down farm equipment.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
As a rule, I never use the low pressure detergent injection. The pump is meant really to run on water not on soap solution so I use a small pump sprayer to apply soap. Mine seem to last and last and I never allow them to freeze either. Current one is an AR unit with a HF Pred motor. Direct couple. I usually go through 2 engines for one pump and I use mine hard and frequently washing down farm equipment.

Think about using a DOWNSTREAM injection setup, it doesn't go through the pump, only drawback is you have to use a low press. nozzle on the wand ........

SidecarFlip

Threads
Think about using a DOWNSTREAM injection setup, it doesn't go through the pump, only drawback is you have to use a low press. nozzle on the wand ........

Actually, I prefer the handheld sprayer. Much less wasteful on detergent (I use Purple Power) and I can get it where I need it easier. Never been a fan of upstream or downstream injection, The detergent gets way too dilluted.

This last pump came with the injector. I took it off and plugged the port and put it on the shelf in the shop.