Toolbox for a lawn mower

Harmond

Threads
I have a long, narrow piece of property, and at the back of it I have a workshop. For various reasons, I can't be too sure my workshop is secure. I tend to keep only the bare minimum stuff there, and I tote the more expensive stuff back and forth when I go out to work on something.

Now I know the most sensible thing to do would be to buy an ATV to go back and forth. But I have a Sears riding mower, so that's what I use :)

I don't want to buy a trailer because to me that's a hassle. It double the length of my mower, and it makes backing up and storage a hassle.

So I'm looking for a toolbox I can attach to the mower. Anybody have any suggestions?

panabiker

Threads
I must be missing something. You say your workshop is not secure therefore you want to keep the tools with your mower when you mow the lawn? What about other times when you are not mowing the lawn, or when you are sleeping? Where do you keep your tools then? It seems that the simple solution would be to buy a lock and lock up your workshop and/or the tools, no?

Harmond

Threads
When I'm done in the workshop, I bring the tools back and put them in my house. Actually, in my attached garage. Every time I put a lock on the workshop, somebody busts it off. The one time I put a beefcake lock on there, they broke a window out. So I no longer leave anything in there that can be stolen.

RoperGuy

Threads
I would suggest making a rack for the top of your hood unless you have the means to weld up a a bracket and hold a tool box behind your seat

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I'm done in the workshop, I bring the tools back and put them in my house. Actually, in my attached garage. Every time I put a lock on the workshop, somebody busts it off. The one time I put a beefcake lock on there, they broke a window out. So I no longer leave anything in there that can be stolen.

I would be more inclined to invest is a couple of remote self powered video cameras.
When you get some footage put it up on Y tube before you hand it over to the police.
There are even some face book sites for posting such images to.
When ever you do so, move the cameras.
We were having a bad run of petty break & enters ( my kids would never do that ) and the local supermarket allowed us to put the images on the local notice board.
Shortly 2 families moved overnight, sold off their properties VP through a distant estate agent & the break & enters stopped.
I would imagine a couple of local lads copped a hiding from their parents not long after.
The 3 local fuel stations ( gas to some ) do the same thing & they swap the photos between each other and ban not only the culprits but the entire family.
It is a 20 minute drive to the next nearest fuel station which is a very long way to walk when you run out.
Shop lifting & vandalism has just about dropped to zero .

panabiker

Threads
Last edited:

Mikel1

Threads
Can you have a dog where you live?
I have a dog on a runner cable since I have a detached garage and also use motion activated security lights. The garage had been broken into twice before I moved in, none since.

Harmond

Threads
So it turns out I live about an hour away from Mowerboss. When I talked to them about a toolbox, the guy said they had a prototype and hadn't yet started selling it. He said if I drove down, he would fit it up to my tractor and cut me a discount for being a guinea pig. I made plans, but got in a jam when I realized my brother-in-law's trailer had awful tires on it, and I wasn't willing to risk the trip. He packed up his stuff and actually paid me a visit!

He could not have been nicer. I purchased the platform kit, which I think will come in handy for a bunch of other stuff, and then he gave me the toolbox at cost just for letting him fit it up. It's a pretty big black plastic box with a self-locking lid that is super-sturdy and fits perfectly behind my mower.

He was reluctant to give me a "weight limit", saying that it really depends on the stability of my tractor and how/where I'm driving it. Which makes sense. Regardless, it seems plenty strong enough to carry the stuff I need. Here are some photos:

toolbox1.jpg toolbox3.jpg toolbox4.jpg