How to claim mower/trimmer gas on schedule c?

mikec280

Threads
I just need some help on the topic above as this is my first yr doing my taxes for my business. I'm just confused on where I list the gas for my equipment. Also, would the mower parts/trimmer string go under supplies? I just wanted to ask you guys since many of you have been doing this for years. Thanks guys.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need different files for different things.

You could make an account for gas and another one for supplies (trimmer line, mower parts, blades, aire filter, etc.) You can also do another account named equipment and that could be for when you buy a new trimmer, edger, mower, blower, etc.

mikec280

Threads
I have my record keeping down, I'm just trying to figure out on which lines on schedule C do I put the gas for the equipment, and replacement parts/trimmer line.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't use Schedule C... I use Simply accounting.

But, just put it in the right file. It is up to you. As long as you have your receipts.

mikec280

Threads
When you file your taxes you have to use schedule C to claim your expenses. This is what I'm talkingablut. I use excel for my spreadsheets. I have QuickBooks pro but I don't like it.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you file your taxes you have to use schedule C to claim your expenses. This is what I'm talkingablut. I use excel for my spreadsheets. I have QuickBooks pro but I don't like it.

Ok, I understand you. Well, I am of no help there... I am in Canada. I don't deal with the IRS.

D

(deleted)

I had the same feelings. Then switched to ZipBooks. I can depend solely on excel because I am not that expert in VBA or access. So I love to have simple accounting solution for myself.

GrassFire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Older thread but I'll chime in halfway.

I have an accountant do my taxes. My equipment fuel is done somewhere on the schedule C but its done in a manner that I get the tax credit for paying highway fuel tax for non-highway use. When I fill up my equipment, I make sure to keep the equipment fuel and the truck's fuel pumped separately. Then I write on the receipt the number of gallons used. But of course, I'm not home now so I can't see where its at.

I will look later and try to report back.

officialakounto

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same situation too, but then realized that I am familiar only with Excel not with VBA and I switched to Akounto and now that there are so many powerful features in a budgeting.