Need to build a concrete land roller to tow behind mower or small tractor (Help)

wilburn cox

Threads
  • / Need to build a concrete land roller to tow behind mower or small tractor (Help)
We have 4 acres which I need to plow/till, roll and seed bermuda grass. I have 3 riding mowers and a Kubota (16HP) tractor. I need to build a land roller which can be towed by one of my riders or tractor. I currently have a form tube 10" in diameter by 48" length which I hope to fill with sakrete and use as a roller. Any suggestions will be appreciated and if anyone has PICs of one they built I would appreciate them.

Thanks in advance and have a great year.
Red Cox

Pumper54

Threads
  • / Need to build a concrete land roller to tow behind mower or small tractor (Help)
Red,
I think the simplest would be to run a piece of pipe through the center of your form so it sticks out about 6 inches or so from both ends. Keeping it centered in the form while you pour in the concrete might be done by sealing one end with a wooden disk and then using smaller pieces of wood to hold the "axle" centered in the open end. After the concrete cures you would then need to bend up a frame the runs from both ends around the roller to a tow bar arrangement. You could use roller bearings on the axle to make it roll easier. If you look at the pictures from the links above I think you can see what I am saying. Where in Texas are you? I live off of Lake Conroe and have a farm in East Texas.

Hope this helps,
Tom

wilburn cox

Threads
Red,
I think the simplest would be to run a piece of pipe through the center of your form so it sticks out about 6 inches or so from both ends. Keeping it centered in the form while you pour in the concrete might be done by sealing one end with a wooden disk and then using smaller pieces of wood to hold the "axle" centered in the open end. After the concrete cures you would then need to bend up a frame the runs from both ends around the roller to a tow bar arrangement. You could use roller bearings on the axle to make it roll easier. If you look at the pictures from the links above I think you can see what I am saying. Where in Texas are you? I live off of Lake Conroe and have a farm in East Texas.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Thanks Tom. I live about 5 miles north of Stephenville TX. I was in Insurance sales and worked Conroe & Montgomery County many times for several years. I loved that part of Texas.
Red Cox

Pumper54

Threads
Red,
Have not been out to your town but have been through that area. If you check out the links you can find several designs that use PVC pipe inside the tube as an axle liner and then black iron pipe or EMT conduit for the axle and tow bar set up. Looks like the pre-cut and threaded black iron would be the easiest to do as all you would need to do is screw the elbows to the pipe to assemble it. I am now thinking of building one using EMT for the tow bar as I should be able to rent/borrow a tubing bender for the half day it would take to lay out and bend up the pieces. Bolt in a piece of angle iron for a hitch and it should tow behind my mower very easily.
Tom

RoperGuy

Threads
This might be in the opposite direction, but I have built one from an old 40 gallon hot watter heater, all I did was strip off the shell, welded bearings on each end and made a tongue for it. All we do is fill it with water and go, also can be drained for transportation

Pumper54

Threads
Roper
That seems to be the way most folks are doing it. Makes for adjustable weight by adding a little or a lot of water also. I was thinking of going the concrete way myself as I don't have access to welding equipment and I can do concrete.
Tom