Oil change

tsyama

Forum Newbie
Threads
Aloha all. Need to change my oil for my Kohler Commander 23, is it okay to use Delo 400, 15w-40? Or if not, what would be the best for it?? Not to sure, just bought it used with 534hrs. 04 John Deere L130 with Kohler Commander 23.

Dave1954

Threads
This is what Kohler recommends;
10W-30 (Command Oil) is recommended for Command, Courage, Command PRO, Command PRO CS, Triad OHC, and Aegis engines for temperatures above freezing (32ーF, 0ーC). SAE-30 is an acceptable substitute if temperatures are above 50ーF, 10ーC. K-Series and Magnum engines should use SAE 30 (Magnum Oil) above freezing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 can be used in all engines when temperatures are below freezing. For more complete oil specifications refer to your owner's manual. For optimum performance, Kohler's special blend oils are available from your KOHLER dealer.

Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used, however oil changes still need to be performed at the recommended intervals. To allow the piston rings to seat properly, Kohler recommends operating a new or rebuilt engine for at least 50 hours on standard oil before switching to the synthetic oil.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Aloha all. Need to change my oil for my Kohler Commander 23, is it okay to use Delo 400, 15w-40? Or if not, what would be the best for it?? Not to sure, just bought it used with 534hrs. 04 John Deere L130 with Kohler Commander 23.

I think what I would do is contact the previous owner and find out what he used for oil first. Kohler engines recommends a SAE10w30 or 30 that Exceeds API service rating SJ or higher rating. You can use the Kohler oil if you can find it but any brand will work just as well. I've run Mobil Super 5000 10w30 in my Kohler Courage 20 &22 hp engines for years without any issues. I also use it in my Kawasaki FS and FX engines and I've never had any issues. If you use the Multi-Grade oil most manufacturers will tell you its use can increase oil consumption somewhat so check your oil more frequently when using a Multi-Grade.

tsyama

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think what I would do is contact the previous owner and find out what he used for oil first. Kohler engines recommends a SAE10w30 or 30 that Exceeds API service rating SJ or higher rating. You can use the Kohler oil if you can find it but any brand will work just as well. I've run Mobil Super 5000 10w30 in my Kohler Courage 20 &22 hp engines for years without any issues. I also use it in my Kawasaki FS and FX engines and I've never had any issues. If you use the Multi-Grade oil most manufacturers will tell you its use can increase oil consumption somewhat so check your oil more frequently when using a Multi-Grade.

Thank you to all. At least I know what kind of grade to use. Now I can buy oil and do my service. Again thanks!!