Why does a Kawasaki FH661V-AS05 muffler replacement cost so much?

BrewCrew

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why does a Kawasaki FH661V-AS05 muffler replacement cost so much?
The muffler is $80, the 2 downpipes are $80, throw in some gaskets and taxes and I'm approaching $200. Any suggestions other than better earmuffs? I'd pay more for a stainless steel exhaust if they made it just because I know it would last.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely due to the low demand, and they have a monopoly on the part so they can charge what they want.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kawasaki!!! My biggest thing I don't like about Kawasaki is the price of parts. I really don't think the engine is any better then any other popular brand engine. It just seems any part you buy for a Kawasaki is over priced.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
Your best bet it to try ebay maybe someone is selling the same part at a lower price so give that a
try and let us know how you make out.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The muffler is $80, the 2 downpipes are $80, throw in some gaskets and taxes and I'm approaching $200. Any suggestions other than better earmuffs? I'd pay more for a stainless steel exhaust if they made it just because I know it would last.

Kawasaki doesn't supply mufflers for engines of your type, they are an OEM part supplied by the machine manufacturer designed and manufactured to their specs.

gregmartin

Threads
I also found mufflers are way to expensive. So I build my own now, much quieter and vertically indestructible. Hear is one I just made for under $10. All you need is a welder and sharp drill bits.

Attachments

• image-3840397648.jpg
    image-3840397648.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image-2240642306.jpg
    image-2240642306.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 42

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawasaki doesn't supply mufflers for engines of your type, they are an OEM part supplied by the machine manufacturer designed and manufactured to their specs.

The "mad man" has got it in one.
Just about every installation requires a different muffler so they end up being very expensive low volume production items.
Your local muffler shop should be able to make you up some headers to fit your mower and some thing like a Volkswaggon muffler.
Or a pair of motorcycle mufflers.
Mower engine do not have highly tuned exhausts so you have a wide variety of choices.
The easiest one is to weld a heavy washer to the end of the header and a few holes in the sides at random spacing

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawasaki!!! My biggest thing I don't like about Kawasaki is the price of parts. I really don't think the engine is any better then any other popular brand engine. It just seems any part you buy for a Kawasaki is over priced.

Well actually the engine is significantly better made than most, when you get inside it is blaitlently obvious.
Honda are some what the same.

All other vertical shaft motors are designed to be the cheapest possible engine as they are only really used in mowers and the mower market is very price conscious ( just ask Tecumseh ).
Vertical , domestic, engines are designed to work around 50 hrs a year for 5 years and are made cheaply from cheap materials.
Horizontal engines are designed to work 10 hours /day because they go in generators, pumps, compressors , saws etc and are made substantially better from better materials.
Both Honda & Kawakasi vertical engines are made to the same specs as their horizontals so they end up being a lot more expensive.
The JD motors made by B&S are also engineered to horizontal engine specs which is why they are substantially better than the identical ( looking ) standard B & S.
If you go to any replacement engine merchant and care to check you will see that the Horizontal shaft version is always about 30% + dearer than the identical sized vertical engine.
Commercial Verticals are about 1/2 way between domestic verticals & horizontals.

Now because they are more expensive there are fewer in use so the inverse volume of scale also comes into play making them dearer still.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also found mufflers are way to expensive. So I build my own now, much quieter and vertically indestructible. Hear is one I just made for under $10. All you need is a welder and sharp drill bits.

Nice looking job. It sure has to take more then 10 dollars, welder, and sharp drill bits. Don't forget the little word called skill.

graydog

Threads

Looks really nice and probably better than OEM.
I have not needed a new muffler yet, but made entire stainless steel exhaust system for '32 Ford w/Chevy V8 in it. I found some SS handrails about 2" diameter & 10 foot long at a local salvage yard. They were probably used in a cafe for people to stand in line getting to place their order. (??) anyway it worked really well for me at a very low cost. Probably $20, plus a whole lot of MIG welding. A TIG would have been even better. It was well worth the effort and got me started making lots of things out of SS.