Yellow paint code for Hustler mowers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not wanting to give up at any cost (ha), I went to a business that does car paint. They use Nason acrylic enamel SS, says the can. His computer came up with John Deere Industrial Yellow, but he had to go through at least 10 different tints to get it right, matching it to the wheel fork. So if I want more, he has to go through the whole thing again, he said, preferably with some left from the can. Cost $31.50 a pint (ouch). But it does match real good. So, I guess, any paint shop would have to go through a lot of trial and error to get it just right. Probably not worth it for a mower.

Bad idea.
The type of paint used on mowers is different chemistry to that used on a car.
Mowers generally get an alkaloid based paint which chemically resists rusting when it is comprimised
Most car paints are strait acrylic or plain laqueur and have no extra chemical protection.

LeakyGasket

Threads
Bad idea.
The type of paint used on mowers is different chemistry to that used on a car.
Mowers generally get an alkaloid based paint which chemically resists rusting when it is comprimised
Most car paints are strait acrylic or plain laqueur and have no extra chemical protection.

Hustler has used powder coating on their mowers for many years now, at least that is what they say. I could be wrong, but don't think that is the same as alkyd enamel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hustler has used powder coating on their mowers for many years now, at least that is what they say. I could be wrong, but don't think that is the same as alkyd enamel.

Just about every one uses power coating now days and the most popular type of powder is a slightly modified vynal because it is cheap and relative durable for a short while so they look good in the shops & don't get nicks & scratches in transit.
The range of powder coatings coes all the way up to fully vitrified enamel similar to what is on a metal bath tub.

Most of the powder coatings are compatiable with alkyd enamel paint and that can be used to patch over holes in the powder coatings.
If you are doing a bare metal repaint then the best coating is POR 15 by 1000 miles.
It is substantially more durable than the original powder coating provided you use both the base coat with is not UY stable and the top coat.
The top coat will errode from under the deck but the base coat will never errode provided it is not exposed to sunlight.
Top shelf professional restorers use this almost exclusively on unique thus irreplacable vehicles and top quality cars.
A bit of a PIA but you will never have to d anything other than wash the deck & reapply the top coat now and then.
The base coat is thinner than water so it gets down into all the little crevases and permanently stops rusting.

LeakyGasket

Threads
Just about every one uses power coating now days and the most popular type of powder is a slightly modified vynal because it is cheap and relative durable for a short while so they look good in the shops & don't get nicks & scratches in transit.
The range of powder coatings coes all the way up to fully vitrified enamel similar to what is on a metal bath tub.

Most of the powder coatings are compatiable with alkyd enamel paint and that can be used to patch over holes in the powder coatings.
If you are doing a bare metal repaint then the best coating is POR 15 by 1000 miles.
It is substantially more durable than the original powder coating provided you use both the base coat with is not UY stable and the top coat.
The top coat will errode from under the deck but the base coat will never errode provided it is not exposed to sunlight.
Top shelf professional restorers use this almost exclusively on unique thus irreplacable vehicles and top quality cars.
A bit of a PIA but you will never have to d anything other than wash the deck & reapply the top coat now and then.
The base coat is thinner than water so it gets down into all the little crevases and permanently stops rusting.

Good info. Thanks!

mhavanti

Threads
You can take that paint code to Sherwin Williams, have them mix it into enamel.

Clements1954

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's a letter I saved about Hustler paint color...

For those of you who don't wish to purchase spray paint from the dealer here is an alternative.

I had some custom paint mixed at Lowes. It is a near perfect match to Hustler yellow. The base paint used was Valspar Anti-Rust Armor oil based enamel (Gloss Clear Base). The bar code for the formula is 1073-A-20130226123452. There were some other numbers on the computer label as follows:
107-1Y8, 111-1Y25.5, 113-11,116-2

I didn't think it would match based on what appeared on the computer screen but the lady said the color on the computer screen never matches the actual paint mixed. She was right. After mixing we applied some paint to the part I brought in and I must say it is a near perfect match. I don't think anyone could get any closer to a match. Both ACE and Sherwin Williams said they couldn't match it based on their tint spectrum. One quart costs $13.98. Save yourself some time and just go to Lowes with the numbers above.

Thanks for the paint code, matches perfectly.....??

Mr. Mower

Threads
Sub'd.......:thumbsup: