1996 Murry riding Mower Has gas and spark but wont start. Turns over fine wont start.

RickSims

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 1996 Murry riding Mower Has gas and spark but wont start. Turns over fine wont start.
I have a Murry model # 38702X8E 1996

It has spark,has clean fuel and lines,turns over very fast but wont crank. It acts as if it's not getting spark. I have pulled plug and its getting spark,gas lines are clear and clean fuel is in tank. I tried to prime the carb with a thimble full of fuel....nothing. The starter is working well engine turns over quickly but wont fire up. I fount the rear kill switch has been disconnected by unplugging the connection and separating the contacts.I plugged it back together with no change. could it be the kill switch on the brake/clutch pedal?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 1996 Murry riding Mower Has gas and spark but wont start. Turns over fine wont start.
Post engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx. Try this first, rotate with both hands on top of engine screen clockwise just past hard spot & try cranking with key, if it starts you need to adjust valves.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Murry model # 38702X8E 1996

It has spark,has clean fuel and lines,turns over very fast but wont crank. It acts as if it's not getting spark. I have pulled plug and its getting spark,gas lines are clear and clean fuel is in tank. I tried to prime the carb with a thimble full of fuel....nothing. The starter is working well engine turns over quickly but wont fire up. I fount the rear kill switch has been disconnected by unplugging the connection and separating the contacts.I plugged it back together with no change. could it be the kill switch on the brake/clutch pedal?

Sometimes " turns over very fast " indicates there is no compression and it's turning too fast.

If the clutch/brake safety switch was at fault it would either not crank or not have spark or both.

RickSims

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried turning the screen just past the hard spot and no change. My next question is can I just cut the wires at the seat and brake kill switch and then direct connect them to eliminate kill switches. I can pull the plug out and its getting spark but something it keeping it from starting. Model #38702X8E 1996 model

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried turning the screen just past the hard spot and no change. My next question is can I just cut the wires at the seat and brake kill switch and then direct connect them to eliminate kill switches. I can pull the plug out and its getting spark but something it keeping it from starting. Model #38702X8E 1996 model
Don't cut any wires, post your engine numbers. Check fuse & circuit breaker.

Last edited:

RickSims

Forum Newbie
Threads
engine number 282707-0122-07 it looks like

DaveTN

Threads
What kind of compression did you get? Also you can get 'weak fire' on the plug outside the engine and then it won't fire under compression. Then again make sure the fuel system is clean and the float is working etc. Good Luck