Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

Kremeneon

Threads
The G5 Gatotor blade should improve the cut quality of the mower, the only down fall to using the blade is that you could possibly loose some blade tip speed because they are a little heavier. The thing I like is the extended cutting length, I think that itself can make a big difference. I use the G6 blades on my mowers.

I don't see how any loss of speed could happen unless something is slipping. Governed RPM is the same regardless of blades and nothing is slowing down unless the engine is already at wide open throttle and doesn't have enough torque to keep up.

I think the extended edge is most of why the clippings are smaller, more chance to get re-cut before making it out the side.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't see how any loss of speed could happen unless something is slipping. Governed RPM is the same regardless of blades and nothing is slowing down unless the engine is already at wide open throttle and doesn't have enough torque to keep up.

I think the extended edge is most of why the clippings are smaller, more chance to get re-cut before making it out the side.

I would think the added thickness of the blade could possibly slow it down. I went from a blade with a thickness of .164 to the G6 @ .250

Kremeneon

Threads
I would think the added thickness of the blade could possibly slow it down. I went from a blade with a thickness of .164 to the G6 @ .250

I think the added mass and windage might increase engine load a bit, and fuel use, but I don't see RPM changing. compare it to towing a trailer in your car. you still have plenty of power to go faster than speed limit, but maintaining the limit your foot is a little deeper into the throttle.

ztrjim

Threads
I recommend getting new blades, Gator G5 596-808

mooch91

Threads
I recommend getting new blades, Gator G5 596-808

Got em this week:
PhotoNov22123136PM_zps5621c47a.jpg

PhotoNov22123146PM_zps86ae20cf.jpg

Installed them today and will probably cut with them tomorrow. Not a great test because the lawn is already starting to go in to winter dormancy, but I'll see how it goes.

One thing I noticed - I was borderline with the engine cutting out while engaging the blades before I installed the G5s. Since the G5s, I need to keep the throttle all the way up to engage without stalling the engine.

Seems others are also having issues (clutch?) so I may need a service visit next season.

Rail5042

Threads
Not sure if they make that much of a difference in cut but they do keep the deck cleaner. I start mine at half throttle with no issues.

Kremeneon

Threads
Yes those are my precious blades. love those Gators. I accidentally pulverized a fist size chunk of concrete with them, which may have put a tiny dent in the edge....

As mentioned, check them for good balance before installing.

They do take a little more effort to spin up so it might take a little more throttle to not stall out, but I by no means have to run it to full RPM to engage, I'm still around the PTO start picture on the throttle.

mooch91

Threads
OP back...

Still having trouble getting a good cut with my 54" RSD. I put the Gator G5 blades on late last season, and now cut twice this spring. First cut was a "clean up" cut - didn't take much off. The cut yesterday was after a week with some good rain, probably took an inch off the grass with cutting at 3.25".

Still getting "windrows" of grass and lots of "stragglers" left behind. I'm going to experiment with a couple of things:
  • Drop cutting height to 3". It seems as if there is a magic point at 3" where the mower tends to lay and blow more than stand and cut. I'm going to try a little shorter to see how it does.
  • See if I can cut/adjust the discharge chute to get a straighter, more open discharge than a directed one. The RSD deck does not have a square discharge out the side to where I can just lift or remove the chute to test this out. It needs some sort of blockage along the top to push the clippings out the side and not allow them to blow out the top. I'll have to fabricate something or put a flat cut on the plastic chute itself.

Pics from yesterday's cut:
F117940B-6643-4729-BF0A-97D920A0AC24_zpsldezvyzk.jpg

F699A091-430E-447B-9D17-E5B094C5E796_zpsd0kt8gkd.jpg

Kremeneon

Threads
I get stragglers if I ground speed is too fast for the bulk being removed. I think the green matter churning under the deck pushes some blades down.

I get windrows also if the chute is completely down. I raise it to about 30 degrees if I am not near any obstacles and the clipping throw is doubled or tripled and not deposited in the first 5' to the side anymore.

some of those look like ejected clumps too. not sure how to resolve that, seems to be a moisture issue in the grass being cut.

MRCo.

Threads
Anyone else thinks that grass looks pretty damn good?!?!? :) Nice yard.

That's some thick looking grass. The RSD deck is shallower and will have some issues with real heavy material volumes as such. A rule of thumb for grass health and cut quality is at most remove 1/3 of grass length, perhaps cut it a touch more often?