MZT52 - how to remove oil drain plug cap?

Pondbound

Threads
Hi all,

I may be crazy, but today I tried to change the oil for first time on MZT52 and I can't figure out how to remove the drain cap! (I'm at 12 hours run time doh...adds up fast...book says change at 8. Hopefully extra four hours won't hurt anything). So the mower has the little hose thing that hangs off the end. There are two points on this that look like hex points for 11/16" wrench (that fit them anyway). From what it looked like, the one farther back is the cap and should twist off. Well I torqued the hell out of it and nothing happened. It acts like one piece. Is this the right way to remove the cap?

Here is how it looks:

g4Fphc9.jpg

and here is how I was trying to remove it:

hKHvxqx.png

Is this the right way? Maybe it's just super tight from factory. I was scared to hulk mode it as it looks like one piece. Can somebody post a pic with cap removed so I can see how it looks?

Sorry I am still learning this!

oleblu72

Threads
The two hex heads you have outlined that's where you put your wrench's if you have ever taken apart a airline or a hydraulic line you would do it the same way. You would position your wrench's so the wrench that is on the plug ( outside hex ) is slightly counter clockwise to the inside wrench you then squeeze the two wrench's with your strongest hand ( kind of like a vise ) and the plug should turn. The drain hose is in a awkward spot Husky needs to rethink their design here these plugs can be a little difficult at times plus a remote oil filter would be nice, good luck.

Mark

Pondbound

Threads
Can a fellow mtz52 owner confirm they have same looking drain plug and possibly post a pic of what it looks like with the cap off?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
(I'm at 12 hours run time doh...adds up fast...book says change at 8. Hopefully extra four hours won't hurt anything).

Don't panic. That oil from the factory doesn't contain a poison or have a virus.

oleblu72

Threads
Yes mine looks the same as yours but I have no way of posting a picture.

Mark

Mikel1

Threads
Yes mine looks the same as yours but I have no way of posting a picture.

Mark

Hi Mark, I'm willing to help you post your picture. Just send me a pm.

Pondbound

Threads
The two hex heads you have outlined that's where you put your wrench's if you have ever taken apart a airline or a hydraulic line you would do it the same way. You would position your wrench's so the wrench that is on the plug ( outside hex ) is slightly counter clockwise to the inside wrench you then squeeze the two wrench's with your strongest hand ( kind of like a vise ) and the plug should turn. The drain hose is in a awkward spot Husky needs to rethink their design here these plugs can be a little difficult at times plus a remote oil filter would be nice, good luck.

Mark

I was out of commission due to medical procedure but finally well enough to try and tackle this again. I tried this again and I swear the piece with they two hexes looks like one solid piece. like they can't screw apart. Even tried with a friend. He held the top hex previous picture in place with me torquing the one on the bottom (pushing counter clock wise). It didn't budge at all. (All I got was gloating from my friend who said "I told you so" - he was pushing me to buy an exmark from the start).

Tried calling manufacturer and both dealers here and everybody is closed. :thumbdown:

I did read someone complaining that the fitting was messed up on their hose from factory. I can only think it must be something like that or I am grossly over-thinking or overlooking something somewhere. It's not rocket surgery...

If there is anyone that could send me a pic or post a small video or something of removing their cap, I'd be greatly appreciative. I found this image below from husqvarna's video on RZ series but as you can tell, the cap is different.

DGC3VEb.png

Pondbound

Threads
Okay so I finally got it off. Woohoo:thumbsup:

I sprayed some WD-40 on the end and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Then I wedged an 11/16" wrench on the forward hex into the frame. Then using two hands on an 11/16" socket with an extension, I was able to hold the socket wrench and push with my feet against the other tire. It finally broke loose. I'll put some pictures and a video of it in case anyone runs into the same problem.

edit: pics as mentioned before
yNQWbei.jpg

Sc3DDgj.jpg

UV3F7Gg.jpg

Last edited:

Dave1954

Threads
put some anti seize on the plug before you put it back in and you wont have the problem next time.