Kubota TG1860 bad starter

TexasGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kubota TG1860 about 15 years old. Starter unreliable. Dealer said no repair possible and must buy new starter which he said was quite expensive. Dealer service manager suggested work around of manually rotating fan blade and then retry starter. Works. But not every time. Sometimes have to try 4 or 5 times to get it to work. Difficult when wife using mower, not so bad for me. Unfortunately she loves to mow. Any suggestions? (About starter, not wife; 51 years and counting.)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kubota TG1860 about 15 years old. Starter unreliable. Dealer said no repair possible and must buy new starter which he said was quite expensive. Dealer service manager suggested work around of manually rotating fan blade and then retry starter. Works. But not every time. Sometimes have to try 4 or 5 times to get it to work. Difficult when wife using mower, not so bad for me. Unfortunately she loves to mow. Any suggestions? (About starter, not wife; 51 years and counting.)

Sounds to me like it is the ring gear on the flywheel not the starter.

TexasGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carscw. Thanks very much for your reply. Been away since I first posted. Soon as I put out some bigger fires, I'll follow up on your ring gear thought.