oil comming out of crank case breather

rocky4

Threads
If I were you I would get a service/shop manual for your engine. I don't want to insult you but if you are going to "rebuild" an engine you don't reuse rings. A engine service/shop manual will give you a step by step run down to correctly rebuild an engine. It will have all the info you will need. Did you reuse the head gasket? Did you torque the head bolts in the correct order? I see others are helping you also now.

You are right, I should not have used the old rings. I have a new head gasket and sump gasket. Bolts were torqued in correct order and to spces (I do have these specifications) I'm going back and replace the rings with new ones and do a complete check out. Really appreciate all the help. I have an email in to B&S engineer for compression on engine, if he answers back.

gfp55

Threads
You are right, I should not have used the old rings. I have a new head gasket and sump gasket. Bolts were torqued in correct order and to spces (I do have these specifications) I'm going back and replace the rings with new ones and do a complete check out. Really appreciate all the help. I have an email in to B&S engineer for compression on engine, if he answers back.
If you use the search box on this site you may find a manual. There is a guy on this forum that is always post manuals, mechanic mark, I think is his name. Maybe if you post a thread saying you need one he might find one for you. mechanic mark is forever posting manuals on here.

rocky4

Threads
80 psi seems kinda high, if the oil pressure is too high and the reed valve is only good to 60-65 psi then you will get oil coming out the breather. What is the max oil pressure for that engine? What are the specs for that engine? Yes a bad ring will cause blowby and high oil pressure, because gases are leaking passed the rings into the crankcase. Does the engine have a fuel pump? If yes what type?

Thanks for your assistance. I received a reply from a engineer at B&S about the compression, Could be high as 125 psi.

gfp55

Threads
Thanks for your assistance. I received a reply from a engineer at B&S about the compression, Could be high as 125 psi.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I misread and thought "80 lbs pressure" was oil pressure. So your saying your engine has 80 lbs pressure, the compression is 80 lbs. 80 psi is way low, you have loads of blowby.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
With due respect. Before you install rings the bore and piston need attention. If the bore is not reasonable round (spec) , tapered, and scratched new rings will not work properly. The piston(s) should be checked for cracks and the ring lands (grooves) have clearance specs (feeler gauge). Discussion has centered on excess ring end gap, but insufficient ring end gap (spec) can cause ring breakage. The bore must be honed properly for oil rentention during ring break in. These are things the home mechanic can check or have checked. Sorry if this seems late . On high miles /hours engines lots can get out of spec. Hope you are able to correct your problem and good luck.

gfp55

Threads
If I were you I would get a service/shop manual for your engine. I don't want to insult you but if you are going to "rebuild" an engine you don't reuse rings. A engine service/shop manual will give you a step by step run down to correctly rebuild an engine. It will have all the info you will need. Did you reuse the head gasket? Did you torque the head bolts in the correct order? I see others are helping you also now.

If you use the search box on this site you may find a manual. There is a guy on this forum that is always post manuals, mechanic mark, I think is his name. Maybe if you post a thread saying you need one he might find one for you. mechanic mark is forever posting manuals on here.

With due respect. Before you install rings the bore and piston need attention. If the bore is not reasonable round (spec) , tapered, and scratched new rings will not work properly. The piston(s) should be checked for cracks and the ring lands (grooves) have clearance specs (feeler gauge). Discussion has centered on excess ring end gap, but insufficient ring end gap (spec) can cause ring breakage. The bore must be honed properly for oil rentention during ring break in. These are things the home mechanic can check or have checked. Sorry if this seems late . On high miles /hours engines lots can get out of spec. Hope you are able to correct your problem and good luck.

Yes I agree, Thats why I have said to get a manual, read it and follow it, so all the parts involved with an engine rebuild are covered and you will have a good sound engine when your done.