Scag Wildcat vs Scag Tiger Cat ?

wdrdoctor

Threads
What is the difference between a scag wildcat vs the scag tiger cat? Of course the name is different ,but what really the differences?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Wildcat was an upgraded Tiger Cub to a certain extent, they were discontinued some years back. The Tiger Cub has been upgraded to a Tiger Cat but in a different manner than the Wildcat had been. Scag compared the features of the weaker and stronger selling models, evaluated these and added some to bring the very successful Tiger Cub line to a higher level and the Tiger Cat line was produced.

Burris33

Threads
The Wildcat was an upgraded Tiger Cub to a certain extent, they were discontinued some years back. The Tiger Cub has been upgraded to a Tiger Cat but in a different manner than the Wildcat had been. Scag compared the features of the weaker and stronger selling models, evaluated these and added some to bring the very successful Tiger Cub line to a higher level and the Tiger Cat line was produced.

I've been very confused about this in the past too. Did they produce the Tiger Cub and Wildcat at the same time for a period?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, the Wildcat and Tiger Cub were produced during the same time frame for the most part. I think that the Wildcat line stopped when the decks changed from "Advantage to Velocity". Having the Tiger Cub line that also had a sub line with Briggs engines and the Wildcat line, Scag realized that this group could be combined into the Tiger Cat line. For a lower model, Scag did the Freedom Z line and an upper line came out with the Cheetah line, with the top and very successful Turf Tiger line. The Cougar and several others also ended.
Liquid cooled Kawasaki vertical shaft engines were offered on the Wildcat and other lines and as time has passed, these engines have been more problematic than average and have been discontinued by Kawasaki. Current Kawasaki liquid cooled engines are all horizontal shaft engines and the only current Scag model with a horizontal shaft engine is the Turf Tiger.
If I ever run into a used Wildcat for sale at a reasonable price, I will snap it up, reasonable price being the key phrase!!!!! Steal it is more like it!!!!:licking:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

bobadame

Forum Newbie
Threads
When was the last year for the Wildcat?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know exactly, when Scag updates the manuals they also change the published date on the manual, I'm going to say 2010 or later. The Wildcat was not a great seller and when Scag went with the Tiger Cat, both the Wildcat and Tiger Cub lines were discontinued. The liquid cooled Kawasaki that was installed on many Wildcats turned out to be problematic, so Scag and other manufacturers canceled orders for these engines which in turn slowed deliveries of Wildcats. Many aftermarket small engine suppliers bought up the liquid cooled vertical Kawasakis as indicated by the amount of these engines that they have in stock.
As I have mentioned, if I can "steal" a Wildcat from someone, I will snap it up and repower it with an air cooled engine, the key phrase being "steal", not interested in spending a lot of money!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile: