Craftsman 24HP riding mower, cranks, has fuel flow, won't start

reelmower

Threads
  • / Craftsman 24HP riding mower, cranks, has fuel flow, won't start
Hi,
Have read various postings with no success. I have a model #445677 Craftsman 24HP riding mower, about 3 years old. The engine cranks but won't run. For awhile if I took off the hose off the outlet of the fuel pump and leaked some fuel, the engine would catch and run fine without quitting. But leaking some fuel no longer works. I suspected the fuel supply as the hose from the vacuum fuel pump to the rocker cover was cracked, so I replaced the vacuum hose to the rocker cover. The replacement hose was shorter than the original so I added a length of fuel hose to make up the difference. I'm pretty sure the hose is air tight. While the engine cranks, it won't catch and run. Sometimes it comes close and it seems one spark plug might fire once but the engine won't catch. After replacing the vacuum hose, the fuel pump seems to work better, when I take the hose off the outlet (the hose that runs to the carburetor), a stream of fuel gushes out and seemed to be under pressure. Taking out a plug, the plug is mildly damp and I can smell gas but it's not soaked. I'm sitting squarely on the seat and the left pedal is pushed down when I start. But I don't know if I'm missing any other safey lock-outs. I'm not familiar with the electric ?? fuel injector, if that's what it is under the carb, and how to test. I unplugged the connector and applied dielectric grease to the contacts. I may be overlooking some other safety lock-outs. Writing this, I'll do a spark test tomorrow, will take out a plug, ground it and crank. In the meantime, what am I missing here? Pictures posted below for reference. Thanks for any suggestions.

Front view of engine
IMG_20140805_191339.jpg

Replaced vacuum hose
IMG_20140805_191328.jpg

IMG_20140805_191349.jpg

Electric injection under carb??
IMG_20140805_191404.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the mower cranks that should rule out safety switches. Does the solenoid on the carb, click when you turn the key on and off. Have you tried cleaning the carb. might be a clogged jet. Also have you checked valve clearances. Might be a compression problem.

reelmower

Threads
Thanks I'll check for clicking on the solenoid. Is the solenoid like a fuel injector on a car, squirts out fuel just before the intake valve or more an on/off valve for fuel flow, off when the ignition is switched off otherwise on for the duration of the run?

When the engine does start, it runs well and for hours without any issues? Does that rule out a clogged carb jet?

reelmower

Threads
Checked the mower some more:

Both plugs have spark. There is voltage at the end of the wire/plug going into the solenoid, when steady cranking the voltage held at 6v but the battery was dying from all the cranking and then the voltage started to fluctuate with peaks at 40v when the cranking started to quit but the key was held in the start position. Looks like the solenoid is the next to check, probably a replacement? Is there any diagnostics that can be done on the solenoid?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust valves per B&S specs. engine cold, post model number from under seat and engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx. Try this first, rotate top of engine clockwise with both hands just past hard spot and try cranking with key, if it starts you need to adjust valves. Compression release on camshaft will not work properly if valves are too loose.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Checked the mower some more:

Both plugs have spark. There is voltage at the end of the wire/plug going into the solenoid, when steady cranking the voltage held at 6v but the battery was dying from all the cranking and then the voltage started to fluctuate with peaks at 40v when the cranking started to quit but the key was held in the start position. Looks like the solenoid is the next to check, probably a replacement? Is there any diagnostics that can be done on the solenoid?

The fuel solenoid is an on the whole time they key is on. The sole purpose of the solenoid is to help prevent the bang at shutoff. Solenoid requires 9 volts to operate. so can be tested with a 9 volt battery. Run one time and not the next could be something floating around inside the carb bowl.

reelmower

Threads
Hi ILENGINE
The 12 v might be the key. The battery is only about 3 years old but it's no longer holding a charge and won't crank. I need to put a battery charger on it before every use. It could be when I let some fuel leak out of the vacuum pump outlet, it was also the time I jumped using the battery from a second riding mower on the property. The good battery overcame the 9v threshold to open the solenoid. Then once running there was enough current generated to keep the valve open. I didn't check the voltage of the dying battery but may be it's not enough to open the solenoid. So maybe leaking the fuel had nothing to do with it, it was the fact that at the same time I used a good battery that could open the fuel solenoid.

The mower is on a relative's property and we were just there visiting during the (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend and have since come home. The repair will have to wait until our next visit at Christmas time. I'll try jumping using the battery on the other mower, if the mower starts, it's time to replace the battery. I'll update this thread at Christmas time.

mechanic mark: thanks for the suggestion. When the mower runs, it runs great so I think the factory setting for the valves is correct.

reelmower

Threads
Back to visiting the relatives for Easter and am in the presence of the riding mower again. Today I swapped a good 12 v battery in from another mower. The engine cranks but won't fire.

To test the solenoid solenoid I disconnected the connector providing power to the solenoid, left the ignition in the run position, then touched the connector to the solenoid terminals. I could hear and feel a very quiet click noise. Not sure how loud it should be but I am getting some reaction in the solenoid. There is not much clearance to unscrew the 2 screws holding the solenoid on and I don't have my tools here so can't pull the solenoid to watch it work.

I pulled the fuel line off the outlet of the vacuum pump and cranked the engine and fuel spurted out.

I tested the ignition wires with a contact-less tester and I can confirm there is spark. I pulled the spark plugs and they are dry. Not glistening with fuel nor smelling like wet fuel. I'm thinking that narrows it down to the fuel solenoid or blockage in the fuel system?

Any suggestions? Mowing season is here! Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull thefloa bown off and see what is in there.
While it is off check the fuel solenoid is fully retracting.
Hold the float up with your finger and get someone to crank the engine.
Allow the float to drop and check for fuel coming out of the carb.
This will spill fuel so do it outside & don't smoke.

whr6633@att.net

Forum Newbie
Threads
As stated check carb bowl solenoid needle valve. Notorious for sticking when fuel is left in bowl during storage. I have 27 hp Kohle Twin same problem. Gummed up needle. Used WD40 to dissolve gum . After you clean have someone move the switch between on and off and you can feel that needle move off its seat.