Craftsman 24HP riding mower, cranks, has fuel flow, won't start

reelmower

Threads
  • / Craftsman 24HP riding mower, cranks, has fuel flow, won't start
Hi, I'm back to the relative's property for the May long weekend. The mower engine is running again. I took the carb bowl off and it was full of gasoline so that confirmed that fuel was at least getting that far. The solenoid was moving freely and the bowl was clean. I next took the plastic cover off the top of the engine and took the metal plate with 3 screws and gasket off to be able to see the channels in the carburetor. I could see some very narrow orifices and sprayed carb cleaner into them and let it soak in. I used an air compressor to see if I could clean out the orifices some more. The engine started up after the cleaning with carb cleaner.

My suggestion for someone experiencing similar non-start problems, try the following sequence after checking the tank to confirm you haven't run out of fuel. The following are easy to more involved:
1. Remove and check spark plugs, if wet and smelling of gas then you have a spark issue and the following steps don't apply.
2. Touch solenoid on float bowl and have someone turn ignition on/off. You should feel the solenoid click. If not clicking, check battery voltage, need minimum of 9 volts to activate solenoid. Charge or replace battery.
3. Detach fuel line from outlet of fuel pump to confirm pump is working. Even crank the engine with the hose off, fuel should squirt out, catch in a container or cloth.
4. Remove cover and air cleaner holder to expose top of carburetor, remove metal plate and gasket to expose channels in carb. Clean orifices with carb cleaner.

At this point, the carb cleaner did the trick for me and the engine started.

5. Remove the carb bowl and check that the solenoid is moving freely and that there is fuel in the bowl. I did this step after step 3 above but I would do this later in the diagnosis now. There is a rubber o-ring that fell out when the bowl came off. I used silicone based automotive Permatex tune up grease, which does not harm rubber whereas ordinary automotive grease will affect rubber, to coat the o-ring and make it stick to the groove while I put the bowl back on.

Thanks for all the tips. Mower has been repaired just in time for the cutting season

Cover off carb.JPGCarb cleaner.JPGfloat and o-ring.JPGSolenoid in float bowl.JPG

Attachments

• Carb cleaner.JPG
    Carb cleaner.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Cover off carb.JPG
    Cover off carb.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
  • float and o-ring.JPG
    float and o-ring.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Solenoid in float bowl.JPG
    Solenoid in float bowl.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

reelmower

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the update and even more so for going back to the origian thread.
Down side of posting photos is all thr family dirty laundry gets exposed.
In this case, those cylinders look like they are overdue for a clean.