8hp Briggs Driving me crazy

jmoore1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello

I'm looking for some help on my 8hp Briggs model 190432 type 0143-01 code 6909121.

Here is the story. I purchased the log splitter from a friend took it home put gas in it and pulled it a few times and it started up and ran great. It had been setting for about a year. I decided to pull the log splitter down and Restore it. I did not pull the engine apart just gave it a fresh paint job. Put it all back together and could not get it to start. So I checked to see if it had fire and no it did not. I pulled the cover off and found a mouse nest and the coil wire chewed up. I replaced it with part number 298968. Cleaned flywheel and air gapped to .010. Still no spark. Purchased a new set of point and installed them. I set gap to .020. Check for spark and I only get just a tingle at the end of the wire. I have tried two new coils and two new points sets. I have cleaned and set all air gaps many many times and it's the same. The flywheel magnet seem strong. I just don't know. This one has me stumped.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Disconnect the kill wire at the kill switch, and then recheck the spark. may have somehow partially shorted out the kill wire. Any time that there is a possible problem with the ignition moule on a briggs engine with points, it is better to just install a magnetron ignition module and eliminate the points.

jmoore1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This engine does not have a kill switch it has the metal tab at the plug you push over to kill engine. This is a old one. I was told at the dealer you could not install a electronic ignition on this year engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you need a new dealer. Just pop on a good used coil off of any 8-12 h.p. with a magnetron ignition and be done with it.

jmoore1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wish it was that easy. I have put two new coils on it from two different dealers. Can it be changed to electronic if so what are the part numbers needed for that?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
#398811, or what ever that supercedes to.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's a guy doing a 5 h.p., he shows the old points coil, and the new magnetron. Don't do some of the things he does, he looks like a fin breaker. I always just
recommend to cut the wire to the points, and leave the flywheel alone, that eliminates many of the horror stories and wasted money.

converting points to electronic ignition - Bing Videos