Belt on 725d Grasshpooer

cambre

Threads
My belt is not broken yet but has two chunks about 2 inches missing. I have been spraying belt conditioner on it. I use a can a year on the belt. anything better to use? Belts are expensive. Mower has original belt on it. Its 3 yrs old. Thanks

BWH

Threads
Are we talking about the deck belt?

How many hours per year are you running?

bobbysr

Threads
I'd get a new belt just in case.

cambre

Threads
Are we talking about the deck belt?

How many hours per year are you running?

Sorry about so little info. Its the deck belt, 3yrs old & 362 hrs on it. Thanks for the reply. Bought mower new in 2011--Cambre

bobbysr

Threads
Als,o make sure all pullys are tight & when engaging & dis-engaging blades, do so at the lowest RPM you can. This will also prolong the life of your expensive clutch.

cambre

Threads
Als,o make sure all pullys are tight & when engaging & dis-engaging blades, do so at the lowest RPM you can. This will also prolong the life of your expensive clutch.

Thanks bobbysr: about engaging & dis-engaging blades. My friend & I use this mower & he said dealership salesman said engage at full rpm. I told him I didn't like to do this, and I don't do it. I rev it up just enough where it doesn't kill it. Glad you mentioned this. I will check all what you suggested. Thanks again, you have been a lot of help. Hope I can help you sometime. Cambre

bobbysr

Threads
Think about your clutch this way; If it was a car, would you rev it up to max & shift gears? If you do you'll wear your clutch out real quick. My first Grasshopper I wore the clutch out in 200 hours because no one told me to engage & dis-engage at low rpms. My 2010 Grasshopper has 1400 hours & I'm still on the original clutch.

cambre

Threads
Think about your clutch this way; If it was a car, would you rev it up to max & shift gears? If you do you'll wear your clutch out real quick. My first Grasshopper I wore the clutch out in 200 hours because no one told me to engage & dis-engage at low rpms. My 2010 Grasshopper has 1400 hours & I'm still on the original clutch.

I agree with you. Thanks bobbysr---Cambre

BWH

Threads
I've never used belt dressing on my Grasshopper, 300 hrs. in 3 years sounds somewhat short life. I get more than double the hours out of my deck belt.

Growing up on the farm in the 60's we used belt dressing on 10" flat belts for tackiness to control slipping.

I wonder if you could be getting too much grip causing too much stress thus cracking and loosing chunks of the belt?