sharpening blade angle

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's your theory?

Well .030 is not really dull.... So it will still cut people very easily espically dumb people. I think they do that to make the blade evenly "dull" which slows down the actual process of it dulling.

The angle of 30 is very steep more like shears less like a knife this is best for the quality of cut as it generates more lift and makes a nice even cut.

Bill Martin

Threads
I just know the right angle from years of endless sharpening. I think the key is to sharpen on a set schedule. The longer you wait, the harder it is to keep the right angle

woolyhead

Threads
I think you need to be clearer with the questions. Are we talking about rotary or reel mowers and how are we defining the angle in question? For example is it supposed to slope away from the forward direction of travel or towards it on the top surface of the blade? I think that defines the meaning quite well.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you need to be clearer with the questions. Are we talking about rotary or reel mowers and how are we defining the angle in question? For example is it supposed to slope away from the forward direction of travel or towards it on the top surface of the blade? I think that defines the meaning quite well.
What?

How about this: Blade angle is defined as "X degrees from horizontal."

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually it is the included angle between the top & bottom surfaces.
Two dimensions to blade sharpening.
1) the angle
2) the leading edge thickness

Now this thread is near 4 years old.

woolyhead

Threads
Just to clarify what everyone (?) means by the sharpening angle of the blade, could we please have some diagrams showing how it is defined? This question applies to reel mowers and to any other type.