Kawasaki FX691 vs Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf Series 25 HP (Cyclonic) 44T9

wdrdoctor

Threads
  • / Kawasaki FX691 vs Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf Series 25 HP (Cyclonic) 44T9
Kawasaki FX691 vs Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf Series 25 HP (Cyclonic) 44T9

Which is the best engine for me ?
I will mow approx 20 avg size yards per week.
I will also use non-ethanol fuel.
There is a $352.75 price difference between both engines,and the Briggs is $ 352.75 less in price.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kawasaki FX691 vs Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf Series 25 HP (Cyclonic) 44T9

Which is the best engine for me ?
I will mow approx 20 avg size yards per week.
I will also use non-ethanol fuel.
There is a $352.75 price difference between both engines,and the Briggs is $ 352.75 less in price.

Well you'd never talk me into a B&S. The B&S Commercial Turf Series 25 HP (Cyclonic) so I've heard and been told is nothing more than the old Intek engine with a new air filtration system. You said the Briggs is $ 352.75 less in price, ever wonder or ask yourself why?
The Kawasaki would definitely be the better engine. I have three of the Kawasaki engines and never had any issues with any of them, the FJ180 KAI, FS 541V and the FX 651 which is the same Basic engine as the FX 691.

wdrdoctor

Threads
Here is something thought provoking. Why would scag use Briggs and Stratton professional series engines in their zero turn mowers ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is something thought provoking. Why would scag use Briggs and Stratton professional series engines in their zero turn mowers ?

I really don't know why? Want something more thought provoking, why are they using the Kawasaki FS 600 series to get the same production as the B&S Commercial Turf Series 25 hp.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everything produced on this earth is aimed at a particular market and price range and this is the way it happens, it is all about money!!!
I just happen to own a Scag Tiger Cub that has a Briggs 49M977 Commercial Turf Series engine and a Hustler X-ONE that has a Kawasaki FX730V engine. They both are excellent engines and perform very well on their respective platforms. As there are a smaller percentage of commercial and high usage folk that use this forum, there isn't as much discussion about Kawasaki and Kohler engine problems as there are on other forums. I assure all of you that both Kawasaki and Kohler engines have their own problems along with Briggs, Honda and others, they show up on different forums in varying proportions based totally on the type of operators that frequent those forums.
My Scag Tiger Cub originally came with a 27 HP Briggs Intek/ELS engine. I chose to replace this engine as it had some of the typical problems associated with Briggs twin Intek engines and I didn't want to get involved with an overhaul, this engine had 473 hours on it when I replaced it. Already owning a Kawasaki FX730V powered Hustler X-ONE, I researched repowering my Scag with the same type engine. A new 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf engine delivered was $845, whereas a new Kawasaki FX730V with the same size crankshaft, a new muffler, control cables etc., was $2,350 and the muffler that I needed had not been released yet. I'm no stranger to repowers from lawn mowers, high performance boats to aircraft, I learned a long time ago to do my homework before quoting any prices. As the end user of either of the perspective repowers, I was entitled to a 24 month warranty starting on the day my order was placed. With the Briggs, I didn't need a new muffler or control cables, but with the Kawasaki, I needed both.
Now I know I'm going to get slammed with this next statement, but here is!!! I recommend to the OP that he purchase the machine with the Kawasaki FX engine option, if you look at my previous numbers, to get an engine that costs more than twice the Briggs engine for only $352 is the way to go.
As for those who "know" or "have been told" that the Briggs Commercial Turf engine is an Intek with an aluminum intake manifold, do your homework, dig into the parts manuals and find the truth, I did!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

MRCo.

Threads
On their lowest mower, meeting a price point.

The CT engine is not top line, the FX is. The FX would be my choice, every day of the week, every job. I just did a repowering with the CT as requested by a customer...not an engine I was thrilled with. Loud and rough sounding, certainly doesn't feel to give the stated power. The opposite of any FX I've encountered.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi MRCo and group,
No doubt that the Briggs CT engine is somewhat raspy sounding, but having been around Kawi FR, FS and FX engines, the FX has a different sound probably due to the Donaldson air filter. When comparing engines for whatever reason, it is better to do similar models. The Kawi FX engine series definitely are fine engines and for the price, they should be.
My 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf engine has been discontinued/changed to a 27 HP version and I expected this to happen due to extenuating legal circumstances and I have no heartburn with this. It has noticeably more power than the original 26 HP Intek/ELS engine and better fuel economy.
I have had all of my machines next to each other and running on a rare occasion and it was interesting. A 30 HP vertical Commercial Turf, an 18 HP Briggs horizontal Vanguard and the 23.5 HP Kawasaki FX730V, very interesting how each one had its own peculiar sound both outside and inside my shop.
Having been an aircraft mech for too long, I have lost some of my high freq hearing, turboprops and jet engines turning up to 30,000 RPM have a way of destroying ones hearing, let alone all the radial and opposed engines that contributed along the way!!! My bride of 47 years says that it is "selective" hearing, but I'm slowly convincing her that it is "elective" hearing and I had no choice!!! I may fully convince her by the time I turn 200 years old, however I'm almost 71!!!! HaHa!!!!
A side note, my Hustler X-ONE/FX730V/60" rear discharge deck is one awesome machine, this machine is in a class by itself!! It is difficult for me to describe the performance of this machine and the crew that operate it at the cemetery rave about it even though it takes three 10 hour days to mow the entire cemetery which includes 5 acres of unused area with no trees. The State of Connecticut has purchased over one hundred of these same Hustlers which pleases my dealer more than you can imagine!!!!
MRCo, send me a PM and tell me your spin on Hustler machines, I will keep it between us!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited: