JD 175 hydro power issues

JD is best

Threads
I have a John Deere 175 hydro mower with a Kawasaki 16 HP engine, and recently it's been giving me problems with mowing. When I start it and turn the PTO on almost always it dies and I have to start it again. I also have issues with when I mow at a normal speed through a thicker area of grass it dies and becomes hard to start. I think it is a carburetor issue but hardly know anything about them. I have already changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the air filter, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

I like this mower and feel like I should be getting much more power out of it.

gfp55

Threads
I have a John Deere 175 hydro mower with a Kawasaki 16 HP engine, and recently it's been giving me problems with mowing. When I start it and turn the PTO on almost always it dies and I have to start it again. I also have issues with when I mow at a normal speed through a thicker area of grass it dies and becomes hard to start. I think it is a carburetor issue but hardly know anything about them. I have already changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the air filter, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

I like this mower and feel like I should be getting much more power out of it.

When the mower is turned off and the blades disengaged can you move the blades easy by hand? Are the blades sharp? When you cleaned the air filter did check to see if you could see light through the element. Hold the filter and shine a light on the other side and see if you can see any light, if you can then the filter is good, if no light the filter needs replacing. When is the last time you changed the oil and filter if it has one? What about the plug, is it clean or black? If its black your engine is running too rich.

JD is best

Threads
When the mower is turned off and the blades disengaged can you move the blades easy by hand? Are the blades sharp? When you cleaned the air filter did check to see if you could see light through the element. Hold the filter and shine a light on the other side and see if you can see any light, if you can then the filter is good, if no light the filter needs replacing. When is the last time you changed the oil and filter if it has one? What about the plug, is it clean or black? If its black your engine is running too rich.

Thank you I will check that and update with what I find.

gregjo1948

Threads
Probably should remove and thoroughly clean the carb. You also should check valve adjustment. gregjo1948

JD is best

Threads
Probably should remove and thoroughly clean the carb. You also should check valve adjustment. gregjo1948

My neighbor helped me figure this out but the spark plug is getting a weak spark. He said it is probably the coil. It has been like this for a very long time i hope it is the coil in which case that would be $60 wasted

JD is best

Threads
Well now it won't start at all. The engine cranks and if I spray engine starting fluid in the carb it may get a few pops and then a backfire but it won't catch. I got the coil out and it doesn't look bad at all. Do you guys think that it could have burned up? All the safety switches are jumped, could this have killed the coil? Please answer back. I need to get this mower running.

JD is best

Threads
I tested the coil and it was faulty. Thank you for your suggestions.

JD is best

Threads
Woohoo! I plugged in the coil and it started right up. I am so relieved to hear that fc420v again. Thank you guys for all your help and consideration