How do I apply a lot of tree fertilizer?

Psychlopath

Threads
Just today I got the results from a soil sample that I sent away for a while back.

The goal was to help me prep for changing the grass to Centipede grass. The front and back yards are a mix of very little Saint Augustine and heavy(ish) Bermuda in the front and very sparse Bermuda, random weeds and low spreading stickers in the back; I also wanted to use the results to help me boost some fruit trees: two apple trees, several olive trees and some freshly planted citrus.

The results for the citrus and apple trees (and everything else) say that I need to add, amongst other things, nitrogen and potash; one of the suggestions, and they gave three, was .84 lbs of urea per tree per year of age for the nitrogen. That'll come out to about 5 lbs per tree, give or take. As this is the first time I've done anything more than spraying some weed 'n feed type of fertilizer from a hose attachment, I'm lost when it comes to application for the trees.

How do you go about putting several pounds of a nitrogen, or any other type of fertilizer on a tree? Just taking a few pounds of granular fertilizer and dumping on the base sounds like it would be bad, as does digging up around the roots and pouring it down there. Should it be parceled out, dry, over several weeks? Dissolved in water and poured on?

If it makes any difference to the application, each tree has about 4 inches of wood mulch around it. The olives and apples have black dyed chips and the citrus has shredded cedar mulch.

If root size or spread is a factor in application, all of these trees except the lime trees have been planted around April, when I purchased this house.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Psychlo, Far from an expert I will tell you what I do. Drive holes around the tree at the outline of the canopy assuming the root ball is the same size. The holes are about 1" dia.
This is kinda like the tree stake approach - the fertilizer stakes that are driven in. I had been using a general dry fertilizer and pouring a small quantity ( 2-3 oz in each hole). But a recent soil sample showed excess potassium which the fertilizer contained. Right now I trying to figure out what fertilizer to use.

Psychlopath

Threads
Since I already have suggestions on the fertilizer to use, this seems like a reasonable enough solution.

Thanks!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
A tree stake is your best bet, will be best for the tree and it will absorb better over a longer period of time without drilling