14.5 carb

bilzpad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a murray with the 14.5 quiet briggs,been sitting about 7 or 8 years,took the carb off,put in new needle,cleaned all the jets with a small wire and air hose,washed it all out good...it will idle all day,but if you open it up about 1/3 on up,it acts like its starving for gas and backfiring....cleaned the carb twice,any ideas?

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bilz, Since no one responded...I do not know the machine, but the symptom is fuel starvation when the butterfly allows a surge of air. The mix goes too lean and will not burn. Try working on the secondary jet -clean ,open, Also look at the float setting . A carb detail dwg would help. I have seen them on line. On car carbs that transition from idle to accelerate is helped by a pump (jet), but I bet the little engine carbs are much simpler.

bilzpad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bilz, Since no one responded...I do not know the machine, but the symptom is fuel starvation when the butterfly allows a surge of air. The mix goes too lean and will not burn. Try working on the secondary jet -clean ,open, Also look at the float setting . A carb detail dwg would help. I have seen them on line. On car carbs that transition from idle to accelerate is helped by a pump (jet), but I bet the little engine carbs are much simpler.

bought a can of gunk carb cleaner with the basket,tore the carb down and soaked it a couple days,blew it out,put it back on and it runs like new